Featured Articles ➔
Acne on Chin: Meaning, Causes, and Best Remedies
Acne on certain areas of your face can mean different things. According to studies, acne on the chin or jawline area is a result of fluctuating hormones. It is also likely to be deeper, bigger, and more inflamed than acne on other areas of your face.
Although they are usually not a serious cause of concern, a study suggests that acne may cause mild to moderate symptoms of depression or anxiety in some people.
Table of Contents
- What Causes Acne on Chin?
- How to Treat Chin Acne?
- Essential Oils
- Green Tea
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Topical Treatments
- Oral Antibiotics
- Birth Control Pills
- Anti-Androgen Drugs
- Other Options
- How to Prevent Chin Acne?
What Causes Acne on Chin?
Chin acne is especially common in women in and around their period cycles. It is also common in teen boys undergoing growth spurts.
One of the main culprits are androgens. Androgen hormones such as testosterone are responsible for stimulating the production of sebum.
It is present in both males and females. During certain times, the androgen levels in the body fluctuate, resulting in excessive sebum production.
Pimples form when your pores are clogged with oil, buildup, and dead skin cells. Due to excessive oil production, the dead skin cells clump together instead of flaking off as they are supposed to.
They form a plug and block your pores. These plugs also trap the bacteria present in your skin. As a result, you experience redness and inflammation associated with acne. It may also result in the formation of pimples, whiteheads, etc.
Conditions that are not acne, but may appear so, are ingrown hair and rosacea. Rosacea is an inflammatory skin condition often mistaken to be acne.
How to Treat Chin Acne?
For mild acne, you can try one of the following natural home remedies.
Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
Several studies show that tea tree oil has the potential to improve mild to moderate acne. A 2016 study showed that when used in combination with resveratrol, tea tree oil resulted in less oil and bacteria on the skin, which can avoid acne.
WOW Tea Tree Essential Oil is 100% pure. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, fungicidal, insecticidal & stimulant attributes.
You should go ahead and incorporate this product into your skincare routine to treat acne.
Mix 1 to 2 drops of this oil with coconut oil and use it as a spot treatment on your chin acne.
Green tea is rich in epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a polyphenol that can improve acne and oily skin. It reduces the inflammation of the skin.
Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea every day. You can also use cold-used green tea bags on acne to soothe the inflamed skin.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are plant acids that are primarily derived from citrus fruits. They can help remove excess dead skin cells which clog the pores and minimize the appearance of acne scars.
Opt for an OTC product containing AHA and wear sunscreen when using AHA products.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains organic acids. It can kill bacteria, suppress inflammation, and improve the appearance of acne scars.
Mix 1 part ACV with 3 parts water. Take a cotton ball and apply this mixture to a clean face. Let it sit for about 20 seconds and rinse with water.
For persistent or stubborn acne, you should consult a dermatologist. They may recommend one or more of the following treatment options.
Prescription products contain retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, or antibiotics. They unclog your pores, reduce sebum production, and kill bacteria on the skin.
Common antibiotics for treating acne include tetracyclines such as minocycline, doxycycline, or a macrolide like erythromycin, azithromycin. It is usually prescribed for moderate to severe acne to treat bacterial infections.
Birth Control Pills
Birth control pills contain ethinylestradiol along with either drospirenone, norgestimate, or norethindrone. They target the hormones responsible for causing acne.
Anti-androgen drugs work by decreasing the hormone androgen, too much of which results in chin acne.
Your dermatologist may recommend laser and light therapy, chemical peels, or extraction to reduce the appearance of acne.
How to Prevent Chin Acne?
In order to treat and, more importantly, prevent future acne, you should also know what to do and what to avoid.
- Cleansing your face only twice per day is beneficial for your overall skin health. Frequent cleansing can irritate your skin and make your acne worse.
- Do not pick at your acne. Picking or popping at your pimples make it worse and lead to more inflammation and scarring.
- Do not go to bed with makeup. Makeup can clog your pores, so always ensure you remove it before going to bed.
- Use oil-free skin care products.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands frequently as it can transfer the germs onto your face and clog your pores.
- Change your pillowcases often. Dirty pillowcases can also clog your pores.
- Be patient. A new product can take a few weeks to months to show considerable difference in your skin, so you must be patient and consistent with your skincare routine.
- Apply an ice pack over the inflamed skin.
- Exfoliate with care. While exfoliating is important, scrubbing too aggressively can irritate your skin and make it worse. Make sure to exfoliate only 1 to 2 times every week.
- Wash your makeup brushes, sponges frequently as they get filled with bacteria, sebum, and product buildup. Ensure to wash them once every week or so.
- Use the proper skincare. Make sure that your skincare products do not contain alcohol or other drying agents.
There are several things you can do to manage and prevent chin acne. To avoid clogged pores and resulting acne, you should always ensure to deep clean your face and moisturize.
WOW Activated Charcoal Foaming Face Wash deep cleans your face and removes buildup, harmful pollutants, dirt, and contamination that can clog your pores.
It comes with a soft, silicone brush that gently exfoliates your skin. Use this facewash to always have a clean and fresh face.
Explore a host of other natural deep cleansing products on WOW.