You know how almonds are one of those multi-purpose ingredients that are always good to have around? Well, almond oil is even better!
However, you’ve probably heard about the age-old battle, namely almond oil vs. sweet almond oil, and maybe you’re still not sure what to make of it. Is one better than the other? Are sweet almonds different from bitter almonds? We are here to address all questions and clear all your doubts.
Table of Contents
1. Is Almond Oil the Same as Sweet Almond Oil?
2. How Can I Differentiate Between Sweet Almond Oil and Bitter Almond Oil?
3. What Are the Benefits and Uses of Sweet Almond Oil?
3.1 For Face
3.2 For Hair
3.3 For Health
4. The Final Takeaway
Is Almond Oil the Same as Sweet Almond Oil?
No, almond oil and sweet almond oil are not the same. Although almond oil is a generic term sometimes used to address both - sweet and bitter types of almond oils - it usually refers to bitter almond oil. Sweet almond oil is obtained from sweet almonds and has different properties and uses than bitter almond oil.
How Can I Differentiate Between Sweet Almond Oil and Bitter Almond Oil?
Sweet almond oil is a fixed (non-volatile) oil that can be used as a carrier oil for various essential oils. It is extracted from the edible seeds of (sweet) almonds of the sweet almond tree (Prunus amygdalus var dulcis).
Bitter almond oil, on the other hand, is a volatile oil that is obtained from steam distillation of dried ripe kernels of bitter almonds (Prunus amygdalus var amara), peaches (Prunus persica), apricots (Prunus armenica), or other fruits such as cherries and plums that contain amygdalin. As some cases of poisoning by ingestion of bitter almond oil has been reported, this oil is typically not recommended for internal use. Bitter almonds contain hydrogen cyanide that can affect the nervous system and cause breathing problems. Sweet almond oil, on the other hand, can be safely ingested. In cosmetics, bitter almond oil is generally used for its fragrance.
What Are the Benefits and Uses of Sweet Almond Oil?
Sweet almond oil has numerous benefits - for skin and hair and for your overall health.
These are some of the benefits of sweet almond oil for the face:
Helps in Reducing Puffy Eyes and Under-Eye Dark Circles: Sweet almond oil has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing the swelling and darkness around the eyes on regular usage. You only need two drops of this oil. Rub it between your fingers to warm it, and massage it gently under your eyes. For best results, do this every night before bed for a few weeks.
- Treats Various Dry Skin Conditions: Almond oil contains anti-inflammatory compounds and has beneficial properties in treating skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, making it a great choice for sensitive skin.
- Improves Skin Tone: Thanks to its emollient properties, sweet almond oil can brighten your complexion and help you get an even skin tone.
- Reduces Scarring: Almond oil contains vitamin E, which helps soothe and hydrate the skin, and gets absorbed quickly into the skin, reducing the appearance of scars.
Reduces the Appearance of Stretch Marks: Studies have shown that sweet almond oil can help prevent and even reduce stretch marks, including those caused by pregnancy.
- Reduces Acne: It contains beneficial fatty acids and retinoids that work on reducing the appearance of acne.
- Protects Against UV Damage: According to studies, vitamin E, a main component of almond oil, reduces damage to the skin caused by sun exposure.
Sweet almond oil also has benefits for hair. This nourishing oil is rich in vitamin B7, commonly known as biotin. It makes hair shiny, stronger, frizz-free, and protects against UV radiation. Plus, it has antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it effective against pesky dandruff and other scalp conditions.
You can go ahead with a full scalp massage with this oil or apply it only on the ends for boosted hydration and healthy looking hair.
For Your Overall Health
The benefits don't stop here. Sweet almond oil is beneficial for your overall health. Here are some additional benefits of this oil:
- May Keep Your Heart Healthy: It contains 70% monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to increase good cholesterol levels in the body and keep the heart healthy.
- May Keep Blood Sugar Stable: According to one study, almond oil may help keep the blood sugar levels low in diabetic patients due to the presence of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in its composition.
May Help in Weight Loss: When included in your daily diet, almond oil also has the potential to help in your weight loss journey, as healthy fats have been have been shown to help people shed excess weight.
- Anti-Oxidant Properties: Almond oil prevents damage caused by free radicals and reduces the chances of chronic diseases.
The Final Takeaway
Now that we’ve covered the differences between almond oil and sweet almond oil, before we leave I want to tell you about two products that I absolutely love, containing the multi-purpose star ingredient we’ve been talking so much about: sweet almond oil. They’ve become part of my hair care routine and I absolutely love them!
WOW Onion Black Seed Hair Oil is rich in essential nutrients thanks to the super ingredients in its composition: castor oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil, and of course, the star of the show, sweet almond oil. Continuous use of this oil helps nourish your hair, repair damage, and soothe pesky scalp conditions. Plus, it is non-sticky and fast-absorbing!
Apply this oil on your scalp and hair, insisting on the ends. For even better results, you can wrap your head in a hot towel for fifteen to twenty minutes. Leave it on for at least thirty minutes before you rinse it off with shampoo.
WOW 10-in-1 Hair Oil contains the super ingredients sweet almond oil, extra virgin coconut oil, Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, Bhringraj extract, vitamin E, rosemary essential oil, and tea tree essential oil. This moisturizing hair growth oil boosts circulation to the scalp and brings back your hair to life. It adds shine, boosts volume, repairs damage and it is safe to use on colored hair.
Simply apply this non-sticky oil on your scalp and tresses and leave it on for at least thirty minutes before you rinse it off with shampoo.
How Often Should You Oil Your Hair to Prevent Dandruff
How Many Times Should I Apply Castor Oil to My Scalp?