Well-known for boosting digestion, promoting weight loss, and regulating blood sugar levels, apple cider vinegar has been used in cooking for ages. Recently, many people in the beauty community have also found the skincare benefits of this versatile ingredient, thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties.
But did you know that apple cider vinegar is a potent remedy for your hair too? This simple ingredient provides various benefits for healthy hair, from getting rid of oiliness and dandruff to enhancing hair volume, shine, and strength. It is a little-known fact that it is also a great way to get naturally smooth and straight hair. Find out how in this article.
Table of contents:
- Does apple cider vinegar help straighten hair?
- What can naturally straighten my hair?
- What foods make hair straighter?
- Is there any shampoo to straighten hair?
- How can I keep my hair straight all day?
Does apple cider vinegar help straighten hair?
Yes, apple cider vinegar does help in straightening and smoothening frizzy and dry hair. While the results may not be what you expect from using a hair straightener or chemical agents, ACV is known to reduce the appearance of frizzy hair visibly. What’s better is that you can achieve smooth and straight hair without causing any form of damage to your hair (which is a given when you use hair straighteners). In fact, apple cider vinegar enhances the health of your hair from deep within.
When applied to hair, the acidic properties of apple cider vinegar help in removing product build-up and reducing any form of inflammation. Cosmetically, this translates into reduced frizz, less dandruff, and more shine. Apple cider vinegar is also known to contain several hair-enhancing amino acids and vitamins that work similarly to keratin-based products. But apple cider does not, unlike regular keratin-based products, cause dryness, hair breakage, and split ends over time. If used consistently and correctly, you can enjoy naturally straight and smooth hair without putting your hair through chemical or heat damage.
What can naturally straighten my hair?
Here are some haircare remedies for straightening your hair naturally –
- Apple cider vinegar rinse (ACV rinse): There are various ways you can apply apple cider vinegar to your hair. Some mix it with honey, while others combine it with coconut oil. To straighten your hair, it’s best to apply ACV after diluting it with water. This will make leaving it in your hair easier without washing it. Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (filtered) with 1 cup of water. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual, and apply the ACV rinse as the last step. Leave it in your hair to dry, and watch it become visibly smoother and straight after application.
- Aloe vera, castor oil, and lemon: You can create a hair mask using some lemon juice, aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of castor oil, and 2 teaspoons of honey. Mix all these ingredients properly and leave the mask in your hair for 30 minutes to an hour. Follow it up with shampoo. The lemon juice will provide your scalp with a boost of vitamin C, while castor oil will help strengthen the hair. The lemon will also help straighten your hair by removing frizz.
Olive oil and eggs: A hair mask of olive oil and eggs mimics the natural oil found in our bodies. This hair mask not only nourishes the hair but also makes it appear silky and straight because of the high concentration of fatty acids in the mask.
What foods make hair straighter?
You must have heard the common saying – you are what you eat. When you aspire to certain health traits, it’s important to watch what you put in your body as fuel. The same goes for your hair health, too, as it responds directly to the type of food you consume.
Here are things you should look for in your food if you want naturally healthy, smooth, and straight hair –
- Vitamin B-rich foods: To provide strength and support to your hair follicles, it is important to eat foods high in iron and vitamin B, like dairy products, leafy greens, red meats, etc.
- Vitamin A and D-rich foods: If you want your hair to hang straight and thick (not wiry and brittle), make sure that you add foods like chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, liver, and carrots to your diet. You can also include a healthy mix of fatty acids, like avocados, flaxseed, and fish that provide healthy oils.
Silica: This trace element is only found in certain foods, and it is an incredible element to give your hair the strength and length it needs. You can add silica to your diet by consuming asparagus, leafy green vegetables, sunflower seeds, and rice.
Is there any shampoo to straighten hair?
If you go out looking for shampoo, you’ll likely be spoilt for choices. From hydrating and thickening shampoos to those that help with smoothing and strengthening hair, there is a shampoo addressing every hair concern.
If you’re looking for a shampoo to keep your hair straight, ensure that it is made of plant-based ingredients and is free of sulfates and parabens. Here are some natural ingredients to look for in a good shampoo for smoothening your hair –
- Aloe vera
- Coconut oil
- Plant oils like argan oil, jojoba, geranium
- Organic green tea
- Root extracts
- Organic honey
Fruit extracts and more.
These ingredients will help keep your scalp and hair healthy, and they wouldn’t strip the hair cuticles of natural moisture. When your hair is healthy, it will naturally appear smoother, frizz-free straighter. Here are some of our shampoo recommendations –
- Wow Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Wow Skin Science Green Tea And Tea Tree Shampoo
- Wow Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo
- Wow Skin Science Coconut Milk Shampoo
- Wow Skin Science Red Onion Black Seed Oil Shampoo
- Wow Skin Science Activated Charcoal and Keratin Shampoo
How can I keep my hair straight all day?
Here are some other tips for keeping your hair straight all-day –
- Use hair products that straighten hair: Shampoos and conditioners packed with minerals and vitamins will give your hair the much-needed nourishment, which will help in smoothening your hair. Look for ingredients like pro-vitamin B5, wheat proteins, helix extract, etc. Make sure you take the time to properly condition your hair to eliminate any frizziness and tangles.
- Air drying hair: You would be surprised to hear this, but the less heat you apply to your hair, the better it’ll look natural. Stay away from blow dryers and air dry your hair after washing. If you are going to use a straightening iron, apply a heat protectant spray.
Get a silk pillowcase: If you’ve made it through the day with your straight hair, you can continue enjoying them the next day. But for that, you have to protect your hair while sleeping. A silk pillowcase will reduce the amount of frizz in your hair, even if you toss and turn a lot while sleeping.
As you can see, apple cider vinegar is a healthier and safer way to straighten and smoothen your unruly hair. It also works as a great cleanser for removing excess impurities and oil from your hair. If you find it intimidating to use raw ACV on your tresses, try out the Wow Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar range and watch it work its magic.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Frizz - Tame the Frizz with This Ingredient
What Is the Best Alternative for Onion Juice for Hair
Apple Cider Vinegar - Ingrown Hair Treatment