We have all seen onion hair oil skyrocket in popularity over the last few years. And unlike most things, there's definitely truth to the fad. Onion hair oil is a natural product that can improve your hair's health and appearance. Onion oil contains numerous antioxidants, including potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin B9, and vitamin C.
A 2014 study notes significant effects of onion juice on hair growth. They found that the group that used onion juice to wash their hair had higher hair growth than the control group that used tap water. This study further suggested that onion juice could potentially remedy Alopecia Areata.
Table of contents:
- How often should I use onion hair oil?
- Can onion juice be applied every day?
- Can onion oil damage hair?
- Can I leave onion oil in my hair overnight?
How often should I use onion hair oil?
Onion hair oil is a potent treatment for your follicles. Hence, they need to be used in moderation, judging the existing condition and texture of your hair.
Here are some general guidelines for using onion hair oil:
- Start with a small amount: When using onion hair oil for the first time, it's best to start with a small amount and gradually increase the amount as needed. This will help you determine the right amount for your hair and scalp.
- Use it once or twice a week: Depending on the condition of your hair and scalp, decide the frequency of use. Usually, once or twice a week is enough for normal to oily hair. If you have dry, damaged hair, you may want to use it more frequently.
Massage it into your scalp: To get the most benefit from onion hair oil, it's important to massage it into your scalp. This helps stimulate blood flow and nourish the hair follicles, encouraging healthy hair growth.
- Leave it on for at least an hour: For best results, it's recommended to leave onion hair oil on your hair for at least an hour or even overnight if possible. This allows the oil to penetrate your hair and scalp, providing maximum benefit.
- Rinse it out thoroughly: After leaving the onion hair oil on your hair for the recommended amount of time, rinse it out thoroughly. You may need to use a mild shampoo to remove any excess oil.
- Apply your favorite conditioner: After the treatment apply your favorite conditioner in combination with mild shampoo, containing onion oil.
Overall, it's important to use onion hair oil in moderation and pay attention to your hair and scalp. If you notice any irritation, reduce the frequency of use. Try using it more frequently if you already have dry/damaged hair.
Can onion juice be applied every day?
It is generally not recommended to apply onion juice to your hair every day. Especially as it can be quite strong and may cause dryness and irritation if used too frequently. While onion juice has been traditionally used as a natural hair care product and has been claimed to have various benefits, it's important to use it in moderation.
If you want to use onion juice on your hair, it's generally recommended to use it once or twice a week at most. When applying onion juice to your hair, it's important to use a small amount and massage it into your scalp rather than all over your hair. After applying the onion juice, you can leave it on your hair for a few hours or overnight, then rinse it thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
It's also important to remember that onion juice has a strong scent that may not be pleasant for some people. If you are sensitive to strong odors, you may want to avoid using onion juice on your hair or consider using a different hair care product.
Can onion oil damage hair?
It is important to note that onion juice/oil is more of a scalp treatment than a hair treatment. Hence, it needs to be massaged into the roots. One of the potential side effects of using onion on your hair is that it can strip the hair of its natural oils, leading to dryness and breakage. This is especially true if you frequently use onion juice or oil on your hair or dry, damaged hair. Hence, the answer is to use it in moderation.
Can I leave onion oil in my hair overnight?
While it's generally safe to leave onion hair oil in your hair for a period of time, it's important to keep a few things in mind. These ensure you get the most benefit and avoid any potential side effects.
Follow the instructions on the product: Different onion hair oils may have different instructions for use, so it's important to follow the instructions on the product you're using. Some onion hair oils may be left on the hair for longer, while others may need to be rinsed out after a shorter amount of time. This is because different onion oils have different quantities of active ingredients.
Check your scalp the day after: Not everyone's scalp can tolerate overnight oiling. Onion oil would not be any different if you generally find that overnight oiling causes more breakage and dryness after washing.
Research shows that onion oil can be a great scalp treatment. But, it is generally confused as a hair treatment, leading to misapplication and incorrect usage. It can lead to dryness and frizz if applied excessively to hair strands.
All in all, you can definitely use onion hair oil daily if you have very damaged or dry hair. But if not, it's best to use it sparingly (once or twice a week). Especially because overuse can lead to dryness and breakage, it's safe to leave onion hair oil in your hair for a period of time as long as you follow the instructions on the product. Remember to pay attention to your hair and scalp during and after use.
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It