The streak-like marks that you see on your hips, stomach, breasts, thighs, and buttocks are known as stretch marks. These marks stand out because they are a different shade than your natural skin color. There are a number of reasons why you might have stretch marks, and most of these are absolutely natural. Although in most cases stretch marks are a normal response of your skin to sudden growth or shrinkage, sometimes there can be certain underlying causes behind them. Therefore, it helps to know the reasons that cause stretch marks and how you can get rid of them.
Table of contents
- What causes stretch marks?
- How can you use castor oil for stretch marks?
- What are some other ways to reduce stretch marks?
- What products can you use to lighten stretch marks?
What causes stretch marks?
Stretch marks are a type of scar that appear on your skin when your skin stretches or shrinks due to factors like weight gain or weight loss, pregnancy, puberty, etc. Our skin contains collagen and elastin that maintain elasticity. When there is a sudden growth or shrinkage, the collagen and elastin rupture. This rupture causes stretch marks. Stretch marks are not painful and in most cases fade naturally, but they can be aesthetically unappealing for some people.
Here are some common causes of stretch marks:
- Sudden weight gain or weight loss: Extreme weight gain or weight loss can affect your skin's elasticity and lead to stretch marks.
- Puberty: A lot of people witness stretch marks when they hit puberty. When your body grows, your skin expands and this leads to the appearance of stretch marks.
- Pregnancy: The growth of the belly along with a disruption of hormonal balance can weaken the skin fibers and create stretch marks around the belly area.
- Breast implant surgery: Breast implants can also lead to stretch marks in some cases.
- Weight training and bodybuilding: Weight training and bodybuilding increase the muscle mass in your body. As you build muscle, your skin expands and causes stretch marks.
- Marfan syndrome: Marfan syndrome is a skin disorder that weakens your skin fibers, which may lead to the appearance of stretch marks.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS): EDS refers to a group of conditions that affect the connective tissues in the body. This syndrome can cause abnormal scarring and stretch marks.
- Using corticosteroids: Corticosteroids are drugs prescribed for the treatment of illnesses like asthma and arthritis. Their prolonged use can cause stretch marks.
How can you use castor oil for stretch marks?
You can reduce stretch marks with some simple home remedies using castor oil. Castor oil is a vegetable oil made from the Ricinus communis plant. Castor oil has antioxidant benefits that prevent free radicals from causing skin damage. It moisturizes the skin, helps repair it, reduces dryness and improves the appearance of stretch marks.
This is how you can use castor oil for stretch marks:
- Castor oil with aloe vera: Castor oil combined with aloe vera can be the perfect moisturizer for your skin. These two natural ingredients soothe and repair skin damage, ultimately fading your stretch marks.
- Castor oil with cloves: This is an age-old formula used by pregnant women. Use castor oil in this combination to help heal the broken skin fibers and reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Castor oil with potato juice: Potato juice can tighten the skin and reduce pigmentation. Combined with castor oil, potato juice can help lighten stretch marks.
What are some other ways to reduce stretch marks?
Here are some other ways that can help and control stretch marks:
- Control your weight: Extreme fluctuations in weight can lead to stretch marks. So, try to maintain your weight. When losing weight, follow a balanced routine of exercise and a healthy diet and lose weight in an appropriate span of time. Do not rush to lose weight in a short span, as rapid weight loss can impact your skin’s elasticity.
- Feed your skin: The skin requires water and essential nutrients like Vitamin D, E, C, zinc, and protein for its nourishment. Make sure that you drink enough water and eat a high-nutrient diet. Vitamin C, in particular, can help get rid of stretch marks and wrinkles. So, make sure to eat lots of citrus fruits that have a high Vitamin C content.
- Get some Vitamin D: Although increased exposure can lead to skin damage, controlled exposure to the sun is extremely necessary to get some Vitamin D. Some studies show that low levels of Vitamin D can lead to stretch marks. So, make sure to spend some time in the sun to soak up some Vitamin D.
- Consult a dermatologist: As mentioned above, stretch marks can be caused due to various health conditions. So, it helps to get a professional’s opinion.
Keep in mind that stretch marks do not pose any health risks. But they can impact a person’s confidence and self-esteem. However, the good news is that some simple home remedies and dietary changes can significantly improve the appearance of stretch marks.
What products can you use to lighten stretch marks?
You can use WOW Skin Science Castor Oil for stretch marks. You can mix this with cloves, aloe vera gel, or potato juice and apply it a few times a week, depending on the severity of your stretch marks. This 100% pure cold-pressed oil can help lighten stretch marks and can be applied to the stomach, hips, buttocks, breasts, and thighs. Castor oil is a multi-purpose product that can also be used on your hair, skin, lips, and nails. So, you get complete nourishment with a single product, while helping prevent stretch marks.
How to Look After Your Hair in 2022?
Want a Gentler Method of Hair Removal? Try Sugaring
What Color Should I Choose to Dye My Hair?