Quarantine gives us more downtime, aka the perfect time to improve your hair and skin at home. Knowing where to start can be tricky. Thankfully, we have created this easy guide to show you everything you need to do from start to finish to boost your beauty routine, all at home!
What is a good skin care routine? What is the order of hair care routine? The first step you need to take to correctly answer these questions and improve your hair and skin at home is to know your hair and skin type. This can vary from genetics, climate, hormone changes like stress, and that means you need specific products tailored for your hair and skin type.
Here are some tips and tricks that you can use to find your hair type and skin type at home and start reaching your beauty goals!
When it comes to hair…
- You can either have straight, wavy, curly, or coily locks depending on the texture of your hair. Click here for a quick shape guide to help you out.
- You can either have fine or coarse hair depending on how large each hair is in diameter. If you take a strand of hair in between your fingers and don’t feel it -- then you have fine hair. If you can obviously feel it, however, then you have coarse hair. If it’s somewhere in the middle where you feel it’s there but it’s not very obvious, then you have medium hair.
- You can have low, medium, or high porosity hair depending on your hair strand’s ability to absorb moisture. The porosity can also vary on your head of hair, so doing a porosity test will help you find clarity. Check out our guide here
- Finally, you can either have thick, medium or thin hair depending on the density of your hair. If you grab a handful of your hair in front of a mirror, can you easily see your scalp around the edges? If you can, then your hair is thin. If you can’t, then your hair is thick. If you can somewhat see it, your hair has a medium density.
When it comes to skin…
- If your skin feels tight and itchy or looks dull and flaky, then you probably have dry skin.
- If your skin feels wet and oily or looks shiny and porous, then you probably have oily skin.
- If your skin looks oily in some places (like your T-zone) but dry in others (like your cheeks), then you probably have combination skin.
- If it seems like your skin is red and irritated no matter what you do to it, then you probably have sensitive skin.
Choosing the Right Products
Once you’ve figured out your hair type and skin type, you need to search for products that have been specifically formulated for that unique type and any concerns you want to tackle.
For example, if you have oily skin, you don’t want to be using a pore-clogging oil that would work better for dry skin. On the other hand, if you have dry skin, you probably shouldn’t be using a gel moisturizer that’s designed for those with oily skin, especially when it comes to people with eczema, psoriasis, or any other type of dermatitis.
When it comes to hair, if you have dull and thin hair, then you should be using products that promote thicker strands, increased hair growth, and nourishment to help reduce hair loss. Keratin and biotin are great key ingredients to look for!
Curious what ingredients will work for your hair needs?
Here’s an easy guide on which products are the best for your hair type:
- If you have dry, frizzy, or curly hair, then WOW Skin Science’s Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner is a great option that will hydrate your hair, smooth strands, and boost volume.
- If you have hair that has been damaged by styling products, environmental pollutants, or heat usage, then WOW Skin Science’s Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo is a great option that will clarify your hair, remove impurities, and help to repair your strands.
- If you have dull or weak hair, then WOW Skin Science’s Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner is a great option that will restore your hair’s strength and shine thanks to this legendary ingredient along with others like jojoba oil, castor oil, aloe vera, nettle leaf extract, and saw palmetto extract.
The best skincare routine for your skin type:
- If you have oily skin and really need to clean out your pores, then WOW Skin Science’s Activated Charcoal Face Wash is the perfect product for you. It works to absorb impurities, detox pores, and control oil for a more even-toned complexion.
- If you have dry, red, and irritated skin that needs to be soothed, then WOW Skin Science’s Aloe Vera Face Wash is perfect for you. This wash is gentle enough to be used on sensitive and dry skin while still being powerful enough to provide deep moisture and hydration thanks to aloe vera, green tea extract, cucumber extract, and calendula officinalis extract.
- If you have dull or uneven skin that needs evening and brightening, then WOW Skin Science’s Vitamin C Foaming Face Wash is your match. Vitamin C brightens and protects your complexion, while licorice extract and lemon essential oil help even out dark spots caused by aging, scars, or blemishes.
Tailor the Best Skincare Routine
Once you have all the best products for your hair and skin type, it’s time to tailor your beauty routine so that you can really get the most out of these products.
This means washing and conditioning your hair less often depending on your hair type.
For your skin, this means washing your face twice a day, moisturizing your face twice a day, and always removing your makeup before bed. Don't forget sunscreen to help protect from sun exposure -- even if you don't have sensitive skin or skin conditions to worry about, UV rays can cause sunburn for anyone, and any dermatologist will tell you that your skin is not happy getting burnt!
Once you get your routine down, you will really start to notice the results.
You can even take collagen supplements to help support healthy hair, skin, and nails! Though making sure you have a diet rich in hair and skin-friendly vitamins like vitamin E, the B vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids (i.e. fish oil) can also work wonders not just for your hair and skin, but for your overall health (it's all tied together, you know!).
Keep It Up!
In order to really improve your skin and hair at home, you need to keep up with your routine. It may take a few weeks to really see a difference, but we promise that it will be all worth it in the end when you finally have the hair and skin of your dreams thanks to WOW’s amazing products!
How to Detox Your Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo Reviews from Customers
How to Clarify Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar