We've all heard several stories from our grannies and mums while getting those weekly hair massages on the several benefits of the all-natural hair oils over the chemically processed products. Not only do these oils provide nourishment to your hair and promote hair growth, but they also protect against hair fall and harmful pollutants. One such natural oil garnering a lot of attention from people all around is castor oil.
If you, too, are being bombarded by friends and family members who are vouching for this oil and asking you to give it a shot, then fret not; you've landed at the correct place. Scroll through this article to know all about castor oil and whether it's a safe idea to soak your precious mane with it regularly.
Table Of Contents
- What is Castor Oil?
- Benefits of Castor Oil For Hair Growth
- How To Use Castor Oil On Hair?
- Our Castor Oil Picks
- WOW Skin Science Castor Oil
- Onion Black Seed Hair Oil With Almond, Castor, Jojoba, Olive & Coconut Oils
- Other Benefits of Castor Oil
What is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is a prevalent oil that’s been around for several years. The vegetable oil pressed from castor beans contains several essential nutrients, Vitamin E, fatty acids, and minerals. According to Hadley King, MD, a board-certified dermatologist from New York, “The natural emollient is an ideal ingredient for making several ultra-hydrating conditioners and hair masks.” It is stated to soothe irritated scalp, remove excess oil and dandruff, and boosts hair growth.
A certified expert trichologist and founder of My Hair Doctor, Guy Parsons, states that “Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid which has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties.”
Benefits of Castor Oil For Hair Growth
There is no significant data on the effectiveness of using castor oil for hair growth. Yet, it has several benefits that can help in creating a healthy environment for your scalp, which, in turn, is essential for hair growth. An expert hairstylist, Courtney Foster, has stated that castor oil is an affordable treatment for those looking to add shine to their hair and condition it.
Here are the benefits of using castor oil for natural healthy hair:
- Provides immense moisture from roots to scalp;
- Increases the circulation to your scalp;
- Enriched with fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants, castor oil may provide immense nourishment to the scalp;
- Cleanses the hair follicles and increases the absorption of other products;
- It has antimicrobial properties and it also helps reduce inflammation and itchiness of the scalp, which, in turn, help promote healthy hair growth.
How To Use Castor Oil On Hair?
Being a bit cautious and applying hair oil in moderation is the first tip to keep in mind. As per Dr. Sheel Desai Solomon, a board-certified dermatologist at Preston Dermatology and Skin Surgery in North Carolina, "As with any new product you’re introducing into your regimen, test a tiny amount on your inner arm for 24 hours first to make sure your skin doesn’t have an adverse or allergic reaction. While it’s rare, some people do experience irritation from castor oil."
Follow these steps to apply castor oil to your hair:
- Take some castor oil in your palm and apply it through your hair from roots to tips. Massage it nicely on your hair and scalp and let it absorb.
- Let the oil stay for at least 15-20 minutes. Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo followed by a conditioner. Use a towel to dry your hair.
- Repeat the process once a week for at least three months to witness some difference.
Our Castor Oil Picks
The premium quality WOW Skin Science Castor Oil is a 100% pure and undiluted cold-pressed oil made from superior quality seeds without using any harsh chemical solvent. Enriched with the goodness of Vitamin E, antioxidants, fatty acids, and Omega 6, this product is free from hexane, mineral oil, and silicone. It is suitable to boost the growth of your hair, improve its texture and minimize unruly split ends.
Besides using castor oil for healthy hair growth, you can also use this oil to effectively provide rich care and nourishment to your skin, eyelashes, eyebrows, lips, and nails. Apart from using the hair on its own, it can also be blended with other cold-pressed oils. This versatile product can also be used for overnight hair treatment, to remove makeup residue from your skin, and to keep your skin moisturized and hydrated.
Powered with natural bio-active ingredients and free from artificial additives such as hexane, mineral oil, and silicone, this product helps deliver holistic hair care. Formulated with botanical oils – onion black seed oil, almond, castor, jojoba, olive and coconut oil – it can also help you with the tangled knots of your hair and extreme frizziness. This non-sticky oil is lightweight and absorbs well into your scalp and helps promote healthy hair growth. Apart from all hair types, the oil is also apt to treat textured and color-treated hair.
Other Benefits of Castor Oil
A few other significant benefits of castor oil are:
- Castor oil helps in providing relief from constipation issues. The oil is stated to provide a feeling of complete evacuation after bowel movements.
- Castor oil works as an exceptional emollient an it can be combined with other oils such as almond, olive, and coconut. It keeps your skin soft, supple, and hydrated. It can also be used as a carrier for various essential oils.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
1. How many times a week should I use castor oil on my hair?
It's recommended to apply castor oil on your hair one to two times a week for at least three months to see the desired results. To boost its effectiveness, you can add to it a few drops of essential oil - tea tree and rosemary are both great options.
2. What is the easiest way to remove castor oil from hair?
Castor oil can be removed from hair using shampoo.
3. Do I apply castor oil to wet or dry hair?
Though castor oil can be applied to both dry and wet hair, dampening the hair helps the oil absorb better. Use a spray bottle with water to dampen your hair for better results.
Top Products That Help Battle Dry, Frizzy Hair
Explore the Benefits of Vitamin C in Hair and Skin Care Products
Top 10 Products to Nurse Color Damaged Hair Back to Health