Featured Articles ➔
How Often Should I Oil My Hair For Silky Soft Tresses?
Growing up, we've all sat between the knees of our mother and grandmother, getting our scalp and hair thoroughly oiled and listening all about the benefits of regular oiling. Now, when we're all grown up and busy with our schedules, it might be getting a bit difficult to follow this ritual that religiously. If you're also a bit confused regarding how often should hair oil be applied, then, believe me, you're not the only one. Here is a detailed article regarding hair oiling, its benefits for your mane, and how often you should practice it for long, luscious, and smooth locks.
Table of Contents
- Benefits Of Hair Oil
- Oiling Requirements As per Your Hair Type
- Recommended Hair Oils For Vivacious Hair
- Steps To Oil Your Hair
- Tips To Care For Your Hair While Oiling
Benefits Of Hair Oil
Regular oiling of your scalp can provide immense strength to your hair follicles, keep your tresses hydrated and restore the natural health of your hair. A few other benefits of hair oiling are mentioned below:
- As per an expert colorist and certified trichologist Bridgette Hill, regular oiling can enhance blood circulation to your scalp and decongest it as well.
- Promotes thick and rapid hair growth and prevents hair fall.
- Provides deep conditioning to your scalp and controls excessive frizziness and dryness.
- Keeps your hair protected against harmful pollutants and UV rays from the sun.
- Contains essential vitamins and nutrients that provide intense nourishment to your hair shaft.
Oiling Requirements as per Your Hair Type
We all have different hair types and textures; thus, our hair and scalp oiling routine and requirements are also quite different. Oiling surely depends on your hair type. Here's a little guide to help you understand how to oil your scalp as per your hair type and texture:
- Dry Hair: If your hair type is dry, you can oil your dry hair regularly, at least 2-3 times a week.
- Normal Hair: If your scalp is neither too oily nor too dry, you can oil your hair twice a week.
- Oily Hair: Those with oily hair and an oily scalp filled with build-up grease and residue can oil their scalp only once per week. Leave it overnight or for a few hours before washing it off with your shampoo.
Recommended Hair Oils For Vivacious Hair
Here are some of the best go-to hair oils that you can add to your hair care routine for shiny and glowing tresses.
- 10-in-1-Hair Oil: This multi-purpose oil from WOW Skin Science is an effective hair care product that works well on all hair types. Infused with the goodness of more than ten premium quality oils such as jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil, safflower oil, and several others, the effective hair oil can efficiently moisturize your scalp and promote healthy hair growth.
- Castor Oil: Organic castor oil made from premium quality ingredients is an optimum hair care product that boosts hair growth and stimulates intense conditioning of your hair follicles as well. Infused with hair strengthening properties, the castor hair oil from WOW Skin Science is an excellent quality product that will easily absorb into your scalp and hair without any greasy feel.
- Onion Black Seed Hair Oil: Black seed onion oil is an excellent quality hair care product that must be added to your regimen. WOW Skin Science has created a versatile hair oil that has been blended with the best of all-natural oils such as almond oil, castor oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, Moroccan argan oil, and several others. Add this effective oil to your routine to add luster and shine to your lifeless mane.
Steps To Oil Your Hair
- After choosing a hair oil, conduct a patch test to make sure you’re not allergic to it.
- You can add certain essential oils (such as tea tree, peppermint, rosemary etc.) to your hair oil to add to its scent and effect as well. WOW Skin Science has formulated a wide range of essential oils that can be added to your hair oil for exceptional results.
- Warm the oil a bit as it will ensure better blood circulation and deeper penetration to your hair shaft and cuticles, thus providing deep nourishment.
- Apply the oil in circular motions to gently massage the oil on your hair and into your scalp for a few minutes. After you’ve massaged your scalp, move ahead to oil hair from roots to tip.
- Tie your hair up in a ponytail or bun.
- Leave it for a few hours or overnight as per your choice. Wash the oil off using a shampoo of your choice and lukewarm water.
Tips To Care For Your Hair While Oiling
Here are a few points that you must keep in mind while oiling your hair:
- Avoid immediately combing your hair after applying oil on your hair.
- Do not leave hair oil for too long if your scalp is oily and prone to grease build-up.
- Do not apply hair oil too generously on your strands. An optimum quantity of oil should be used so that rinsing it out doesn't take too much time.
- Chemical enriched hair oils must be avoided as they can have several side effects on your scalp.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can we apply oil at night?
Yes, you can apply oil overnight for deeper penetration into your hair shaft and follicles.
Does your scalp absorb oil?
Yes, your scalp absorbs oil, but the rate at which it does so depends both on your scalp type and the type of oil you’re using.
Hair oil is the perfect way of relieving your locks from the setbacks of daily life and harmful factors that it undergoes every day. Understand all the needs and requirements of your hair and take good care of it with any one of these recommended hair oils to ensure beautiful, silky, and super soft mane.