De-stress with a masking moment that your hair will LOVE. Any hair woe can be fixed with proper care and time, especially when using a deep conditioning treatment like a hair mask. WOW’s hair masks feature natural botanicals to nourish deeply and work effectively to help you reach your hair goals!
How to apply a hair mask? Packed with nourishing ingredients, your hair can take on a greasy appearance if it isn’t used properly. Keep reading to get the low down on this hair savior!
Table of contents:
- What Is a Hair Mask?
- Why Do You Need a Hair Mask?
- How To Apply a Hair Mask
- Ingredients To Look For in a Hair Mask
- Hydrating Ingredients
- Strengthening Ingredients
- Color Protection Ingredients
- Ingredients To Avoid
What Is a Hair Mask?
Hair masks are deep conditioning treatments that nourish and rejuvenate your hair follicles. Most of their creamy formulas feature hydrating ingredients that will replenish the lost moisture in your hair, especially for split ends and frizz. The job of a hair mask is to deliver a concentrated dose of conditioning for dry, damaged, or overly colored and processed hair. Not to be used as a replacement for your standard conditioning processes, this unique formula provides a potent boost of moisture, aimed to speed up the healing process for your damaged locks.
Why Do You Need a Hair Mask?
Why wouldn't you use a hair mask? Think of it as a face mask for your hair, it isn’t wholly necessary but is a fantastic boost if your hair is in need of some TLC. The powerful ingredients in hair masks work to rapidly repair and restore damaged hair to its natural, healthy state. Even if you don’t have dry hair or hair damage, a hair mask can be beneficial for any and all hair types.
Even if you believe your hair is beyond the point of damage control, a good hair mask will most definitely help with restoring it! The hair mask hydrators works its way inside the hair cuticle and help restore your strand strength to revive your glossy shine.
How To Apply a Hair Mask
Thanks to its intensive conditioning power, this hair treatment does not need to be applied as often as your traditional shampoo or conditioner. Unless you’ve got extremely, excessively, severely damaged hair or very dry hair, a hair mask is typically only needed on a weekly basis and even less for oily hair. If you fall into the extreme need category, applying a hair mask after every hair wash cycle is recommended. How to apply hair mask for best results? Follow this routine for flawless locks!
- Shampoo, lather, and rinse your hair as per your normal routine
- Pat your hair dry with a towel to absorb moisture but not completely dry
- Apply a dollop of hair mask depending on your hair length, evenly from the tips to your ear. Taking it any higher will cause your roots to look greasy.
Leave the hair mask in your hair for 10 to 15 minutes
- Rinse out thoroughly with warm water
- Finish with a cold water rinse to seal the cuticles
- Air dry if possible to prevent heat damage on your newly conditioned locks
A little can go a long way, so work in portions so as to not use the entire jar in one use. Follow these simple directions as to how to apply a hair mask, and with regular use, your hair will shine like a diamond!
Ingredients To Look For in a Hair Mask
The best hair masks contain ingredients known for their hydrating and moisturizing properties. When looking for your next hair booster, keep a lookout for some of the most well-used and hairstylist-approved natural ingredients.
Moroccan Argan Oil - aka liquid gold is famous in the beauty community for its nourishing properties to leave your hair silky and strong. The Omega 3 Fatty Acid and Vitamin E rich formula strengthen your strands to help prevent breakage, nourish dry hair, and soothe split ends. Because of the exclusiveness of this ingredient, the production of this oil can be costly, thus making it a highly sought after ingredient in WOW Skin Science’s Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - This kitchen staple may sound weird to apply to your hair. As a food item, we are aware of the heart-healthy benefits these monounsaturated fats have. As a useful ingredient to encourage hair growth, the penetrative powers allow moisture to be locked in while simultaneously creating a protective barrier. This process works to fight shrinkage and frizz, while also reversing the damage done by styling, color treatments, and environmental exposure. Try it out in our Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
Coconut Oil - The ultimate beauty ingredient, this fruity & nutty oil is a staple in everything from haircare to facial products, removing makeup, cooking, and so much more. The abundance of benefits when consumed or topically applied has made coconut oil all the rage in the health and beauty world. For hair care, coconut oil has been found to help restore your strands and stimulate healthy hair growth. That’s why it’s featured in its own range of coconut products, like WOW Skin Science’s Coconut Milk Hair Mask, which you’ll learn below how to use! Plus, the irresistible scent will take you to a tropical paradise, who can resist that?
- Shea Butter - Another popular ingredient in the beauty world, “shea butter has many potential benefits for hair and skin including moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging effects.” The protectant properties help lock in moisture, making it a must for coarse or curly hair. For centuries, shea butter has been used to alleviate symptoms of dandruff, dry, and itchy scalp with its soothing properties. It works to help restore damaged follicles without clogging pores in the process, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. The silky, slick emollience seals frizz, split ends, and moisture, making shea butter an ideal ingredient for any hair mask.
Wheat Protein - works to boost hair thickness and by penetrating the hair shafts to aid in repairing damaged strands.
Sunflower Biolipids - extracted from sunflower seed oil, this works to protect the hair from free radical damage and repair any damaged cuticles by penetrating the hair shaft.
Soy Protein - “The amino acids strengthen hair cuticles for enhanced moisture retention & smoother tresses.”
- Avocado oil - penetrates the hair shaft and strengthens strands to help prevent breakage.
Color Protection Ingredients
- Black Spruce Extract - “Rich in resveratrol antioxidants, which have been clinically proven to absorb the sun's UV rays that cause your hair color to fade.” Look for products with this extract, like WOW Skin Science Hair Mask For Color-Treated Hair, to protect the vibrant color in your hair!
Ingredients To Avoid
While there are many ingredients that do good for your hair and scalp, watch out for ones that can dry out, and further damage your hair. Some notably notorious hair care ingredients to be on the lookout for are sulfates, parabens, silicones, and gluten.
- Sulfates can be a naturally occurring compound, however many of those found in hair care products are chemically manufactured to mimic a lathering effect. It is those manmade versions that you should be aware of, especially if you have a sensitivity to products like this.
- Parabens are another manufactured ingredient that is used as a preservative. The scary part of this compound is the fact that it has the ability to mimic naturally occurring hormones in our body and is easily absorbed through the skin. While research is still pending regarding the long term effects of this ingredient, your safest bet is to avoid it altogether.
- While silicone is a mineral, it can also be manufactured. With an almost plastic-like texture, it works as a sealant to fill in the gaps for breakage in damaged hair. The issue with this plastic-like film is that your hair can’t absorb nutrients or moisture, making it more susceptible to breakage.
With all these wanna-be naturals, a return to time-tested and plant-powered products from WOW Skin Science will save your hair. The dedication to providing quality, all-natural, vegan products will have your hair thanking you!
Hair masks are a great booster to your regular routine, regardless of your hair type or hair health. Especially for those who want that return to strong and healthy hair, hair masks are a great way to provide your hair with all the nutrients and hydration it needs to truly thrive.
The effort is minimal in contrast to what it can do for your hair's overall health. Take your hair's health into your own hands to reach your hair goals!
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It