If you are considering using an ingredient from your kitchen on your hair, you are not alone. If I had a penny for the number of times I’ve used kitchen products on my hair and skin, I would be a wealthy person. Certain food items can benefit your hair and skin in many ways. And this week’s pick is apple cider vinegar!
Now, apple cider vinegar may not seem like the ideal choice for your hair. Firstly, it is vinegar (read: acidic), and secondly, it can have an overpowering smell. But, I promise you, once you start using this on your hair, it is unlikely that you will stop.
Table of contents
- What is apple cider vinegar and what benefits does it have?
- How does apple cider vinegar help your hair?
- How to apply apple cider vinegar to hair?
- Pros and cons of apple cider vinegar for hair
- The best apple cider vinegar shampoo and conditioner
Let’s find out more about apple cider vinegar!
What is apple cider vinegar and what benefits does it have?
As the name suggests, apple cider vinegar is made from apples, more precisely from fermented apple juice, and is commonly added to salads, chutneys, and marinades. Some of the benefits of apple cider vinegar are:
- It may help you lose weight;
- It can improve digestion;
- It may help reduce cholesterol;
- It may help lower blood sugar.
But ACV also has many benefits when applied topically, particularly on hair.
Why should you add ACV to your hair care routine? How does ACV help your hair?
If you’ve never used ACV on your hair, you are in for a pleasant surprise. ACV can help you in the following ways:
- As per Blossom Kochhar, the founder of Blossom Kochhar Aroma Magic, apple cider vinegar helps get rid of dandruff. This means less hair fall and a healthier scalp. You can also bid farewell to the constant itch.
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural conditioner for your hair. Even if you ditch the conditioner, as long as you use apple cider vinegar, your hair will be lustrous, manageable, and silky.
- Apple cider vinegar deep cleans your scalp and helps remove dirt, grease, and excess oil. When your hair and scalp are clean, you notice more volume, bounce and healthy hair growth.
- Apple cider vinegar promotes hair growth by maintaining the natural pH level of your scalp.
How to apply apple cider vinegar to hair?
Using apple cider vinegar on your hair is easy breezy. Follow these steps:
- Just take a glass of water, preferably filtered water, and add one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it, depending on the length of your hair.
- Take this to the bathroom when you take a shower.
- Shower as usual and leave the glass of apple cider vinegar and water for the last rinse after you wash your hair with shampoo and apply conditioner.
- Pour the concoction of water and apple cider vinegar on your hair. You can also use a spray bottle to apply it evenly to your hair from top to bottom.
- Let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes and rinse your hair with plain water.
Say hello to beautiful, soft, and shiny hair!
What are the pros and cons of apple cider vinegar for hair?
Let’s start with the pros:
- It is easy to apply apple cider vinegar to your hair. The process is not messy or time-consuming. Unlike other hair masks, you do not have to keep the product on for a long time. 2 to 3 minutes is all you need.
- Apple cider vinegar is easily available in most grocery stores. A bottle can last you for many months as you only use a spoon or two of it, depending on the length of your hair. So, it is a cost-effective product too.
Time for some cons:
- The smell can be overpowering. Although it does not linger for long, it can still be hard to bear.
The best ACV shampoo and conditioner
Being extremely sensitive to smells made me look for an alternative product that could offer the benefits of ACV and yet camouflage it with a better fragrance. This led me to discover the Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo And Coconut/ Avocado Oil Conditioner Pack by WOW. The apple cider vinegar shampoo works well to clear dandruff and grime from my scalp and has anti-inflammatory properties, while the coconut/ avocado conditioner offers much-needed conditioning to my hair follicles. They contain ingredients like apple cider vinegar, argan oil, sweet almond oil, saw palmetto, nettle leaf extract, virgin coconut oil, and avocado oil, and neither the shampoo, nor the conditioner, contain any parabens or sulfates.
What I love about this shampoo is that it is safe for colored and treated hair too. Most shampoos tend to wash off color, but this had no such effect. Moreover, the fragrance is soothing and stays on for a while. It does take some time to work its magic on your hair, just like any other plant-based product, but you will see the difference after a few applications.
This product is also available in another combination, Fan Favorites Bundle, which includes the Onion Black Seed Hair Oil. You can buy this combination if you are also looking for a hair oil. I am someone who loves to oil my hair regularly and was looking for something to manage hair fall and frizz, so this fit my criteria perfectly. Oiling can be time-consuming, but you can always take some time out for yourself once a week.
I would recommend ACV for hair, especially if you are dealing with frizz and dandruff. But if the smell bothers you as much as it bothers me, check out the Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo from WOW. This is hassle-free. Moreover, since it is a vegan, harsh chemicals-free product, you know for sure that you are putting only the good stuff on your hair and scalp.
Explore the WOW website for more natural hair care products.
How Do I Know if My Scalp Is Healthy? 4 Signs of an Unhealthy Scalp
Does Shampoo Expire & Should You Use Expired Shampoo?
Why Choose WOW Onion Shampoo?