Exfoliating with fun scrubs is a key part of any skincare routine, but you could be doing it wrong! This could be doing your skin more harm than good in the process. Just follow these five simple tricks to exfoliate your face so that you can easily rock the “no makeup” look with amazing skin.
#1: Use the Right Type of Exfoliant
The first trick to exfoliating your face is to use the right type of exfoliant. Many people don’t know that there’s more than one type!
You’re probably aware of the traditional scrubbing method, which is actually known as mechanical exfoliation. This involves some type of rough particle or scrubbing tool to physically scrub the dead skin cells away and boost blood circulation.
However, there’s another method called chemical exfoliation. Unlike mechanical exfoliation, there’s no harsh scrubbing involved and the exfoliant is a smooth texture. Within these chemical exfoliants, the real magic is in acids like BHA’s and AHA’s that are able to break down dead skin cells with chemical reactions, rather than scrubbing. This makes it an attractive option for more sensitive skin, or acne-prone skin in order to not irritate existing pimples.
#2: Use the Right Ingredients and Products
This is especially important for things you put on your skin, as the ingredients used directly impact your skin’s health. It’s easy to just pick products that have nice packaging, smell nice, or even say that they are “natural” without reading the label to find out what’s actually in them and what we are essentially putting into our bodies through our skin! As it turns out, cosmetics companies are able to say that products are “natural” or “vegan” without much regulation.
WOW Skin Science, on the other hand, really is vegan and all-natural! We aren’t shy about it and we clearly list all of our ingredients so that you know what you’re putting on and in your body. Our products never contain parabens or sulfates that can harm your skin or your overall health. We also never test on animals.
Still not convinced? Here are some of our best exfoliating products made with natural, skin-loving ingredients that effectively exfoliate your skin:
- WOW Skin Science’s Ubtan Foaming Face Wash comes with a built-in soft-silicone face brush to help you gently but effectively cleanse your face. This formula features ubtan, the ayurvedic secret to glowing skin! Curated with chickpea flour, turmeric, saffron, almond powder, rose water, and sandalwood oil to naturally exfoliate for smoother, brighter, and more even skin.
- WOW Skin Science Ubtan Face & Body Scrub helps smooth and soften your skin with the same botanical blend of Ubtan! Use it before your shower/bath to remove dead, dull skin by massaging your skin in circular motions. It’s an all-natural way to boost your glow!
- WOW Skin Science’s Activated Charcoal Foaming Face Wash also comes with a built-in silicone face brush that helps you achieve a deep clean. It’s plant-powered with activated charcoal, tea tree oil, and aloe vera extract. The activated charcoal acts like a magnet to absorb impurities like dirt, makeup, and oil from deep inside pores while the silicone brush gently scrubs away dead skin cells. The tea tree oil and aloe vera extract soothe and nourish the skin after cleansing to calm your complexion.
- WOW Skin Science’s Vitamin C Foaming Face Wash comes with a built-in face brush to help you exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells and reveal smoother and brighter skin. Thanks to Vitamin C, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, mulberry extract, licorice extract, hyaluronic acid, and lemon essential oil, you can achieve your glow-up in no time!
#3: Use the Right Technique
Once you have the right product, you need to hone in on your technique. You could have the best exfoliating product in the world, but if you aren’t using it correctly, you aren’t going to benefit from it.
When it comes to exfoliation, the key is to be thorough but gentle -- this is especially true if you’re using mechanical exfoliation. Here are some tips to follow to exfoliate the right way:
- Read and follow the directions on the exfoliant product.
- Cleanse your face before exfoliating so that you start with a clean canvas, so to speak, rather than rubbing existing dirt, oil, and makeup deeper into your skin.
- Using gentle circular motions, lightly massage the exfoliant into your skin. Make sure to focus on problem areas like your nose, chin, and forehead that may see more blackheads and clogged pores.
- Massage for 30 seconds in circular motions, or in short brush strokes if you’re using a facial brush. This gives the exfoliator a chance to break down impurities.
- Rinse off the product with lukewarm water, not hot water! Gently dab your skin dry with a microfiber face towel.
#4: Use the Right Frequency
Another thing that people get wrong about exfoliation is the frequency because you don’t need to exfoliate every day! Depending on the product, you can exfoliate just once or twice a week -- especially if you’re using a chemical exfoliant since it’s potent.
Most mechanical exfoliants, on the other hand, can be used every other day or so after a gentle cream or gel cleanser to use beforehand. Using our 2-in-1 exfoliating cleansers is a gentle way to get effective, all-natural, and easy to use exfoliation for glowing skin!
#5: Use the Right Aftercare
Finally, you need to use the right aftercare when you exfoliate. Make sure that you thoroughly rinse it off your face to remove all traces of the exfoliating product. Pat your face dry with a soft microfiber face towel that won’t irritate your skin.
The most important step after exfoliating is to moisturize! That way, your skin isn’t totally stripped of its moisture and protects your natural barrier.
As you can see, exfoliating your face can be easy if you follow these five simple tricks!
It may take some time to nail your routine and technique, but with a little bit of practice, you’ll become an exfoliating expert. Just make sure to start off slow and be consistent in order to achieve the smooth, flawless skin you’ve been dreaming of!
Apple Cider Vinegar - Ingrown Hair Treatment