Healthy hair is on everyone’s mind. Strong, silky, and manageable hair not only enhances your appearance, but also reflects good health. However, as you get busy with life, you may find less and less time to care for your stresses, leaving your hair dull and damaged. The good news is you can reverse the damage on your dull mane by following some simple hair care rituals. Keep reading to find out how to make your hair healthy again.
Table of Contents
- What causes hair damage?
- How to make your hair healthy again?
- What hair care products can be used on damaged hair?
What causes hair damage?
Here are some top reasons for hair damage:
- Pollution: Some studies have shown that certain pollutants can reduce the levels of the four main proteins responsible for hair growth as well as hair retention. The increasing pollution around the world can damage your hair over time and can result in damage.
Chemicals: Haircare products like shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, etc. as well as styling treatments like smoothening, rebonding, coloring, etc., may also contain harsh chemicals that can cause breakage and hair fall.
- Overwashing: Washing your hair too often can strip moisture from your hair and scalp, causing it to dry out.
- Low water intake: Hair is made up of 12 to 15% water. Lack of water in the body can affect the hair shaft. People who do not drink enough water can experience dryness and roughness in their hair.
- Poor lifestyle and diet: A poor diet and lifestyle affect your hair too. You need vital nutrients like zinc, iron, calcium, etc., to maintain healthy hair. A diet that is not nutritionally dense can leave your hair dull, lifeless and also cause hair loss.
- Genetics or skin disorders: Scalp issues like psoriasis, dandruff, etc., cause hair loss. In addition to this, your genes also play a role in your hair health. If your parents suffered from issues like hair thinning or early-stage pattern baldness, you might also experience them.
How to make your hair healthy again?
Regardless of what’s causing it, the good news is that, in most cases, you can make your stresses healthy again to a large extent. Here are some healthy routine habits:
Oiling your hair regularly: An oil massage is one of the oldest hair care routines that has helped many people across countries and cultures maintain good hair and scalp health. Massaging your scalp with oil can improve blood circulation and contribute to hair growth. In addition to this, the oil helps to moisturize the hair and prevent it from becoming brittle. Deep conditioning your hair with oil regularly, at least once a week, can help you improve your hair health over time.
- Improving your diet: Having a diet that is rich in iron, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, etc., can help you keep your hair healthy and nourished. Your hair is made up of protein, and food items like eggs, lean meat, fish, etc. can help you maintain the right level of protein in your body. Omega 3 fatty acids help stimulate your hair follicles. Salmon, some yogurts, etc., are some of the best sources of omega 3 fatty acids. You should also add fresh vegetables and fruits to your diet to ensure optimum iron and zinc intake.
- Choosing the right conditioner and shampoo: Be careful while selecting a brand and go for products from reputable brands. It also helps to read reviews to know what products are good. Moreover, select products that are meant for your hair type. If you are unsure about your hair type, you can always consult a dermatologist.
Air drying your hair: Blow dryers, straighteners, curlers, etc., can harm your hair. Sticking to air drying can be one of the simplest ways to improve hair health. Limit your use of heat as much as you can and opt for hairstyles that require little to no heat.
- Minimizing chemical exposure: The market is full of hair care products laden with harsh chemicals. Hair colors, keratin treatments, etc., can have long-term side effects on your hair. Make sure you understand the repercussions of any chemical treatment before you get it done. In addition to this, talk to your stylist about post-treatment care to minimize any damage caused during the treatment process. You can also switch to shampoo and conditioners with plant-powered formulas.
- Using natural ingredients: Natural ingredients like onion, apple cider vinegar, argan oil, coconut, etc., can benefit your hair in several ways. Try to add them to your hair care routine as much as you can. You can either use them directly or choose products that contain them.
- Use a wide comb: Thin combs can cause breakage, so switch to a wide-toothed comb. You can also use a detangling serum to reduce unnecessary breakage.
What hair care products can be used on damaged hair?
Here are some hair care products that can be used on damaged hair:
- Moroccan Argan Hair Oil: WOW Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil can be used to repair dry and brittle hair. This cold-pressed oil can also help with hair thinning and moisturize your scalp.
- Onion Oil: WOW Skin Science Onion Black Seed Hair Oil with Almond, Castor, Jojoba, Olive, and Coconut Oils contains some of the most powerfully moisturizing elements that help nourish your scalp and hair. The onion will help remove impurities with its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, and almond, jojoba, olive, and coconut will provide deep conditioning. You can use this oil blend for your regular massages and enjoy well-moisturized hair.
- Apple cider vinegar shampoo: WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo can help remove excess oil and buildup and bring back shine to your manes. The shampoo can also help restore hair elasticity, and its antimicrobial features contribute to reducing dandruff.
- Hair serum: WOW Skin Science Hair Revitalizer Spray can help detangle your hair and leave your tresses frizz-free all day. You can use this serum as a leave-in conditioner and enjoy rejuvenated hair.
- Coconut milk mask: WOW Skin Science Coconut Milk Hair Mask can provide deep hydration to your locks. This hair mask is a must for chemically treated hair and it can be used once a week.
WOW Skin Science has a wider range of products that can help you reverse some of the damage caused to your hair. Explore our hair care products to make your hair healthy again!
Bowl Method for Curly Hair: Pros and Cons
How to Choose the Best Clarifying Shampoo for Natural Hair
What Happens If You Wash Your Hair Every Day?