Perhaps the most significant side effect of shedding excess weight is the loose, sagging skin that it leaves behind. The most common parts of our body impacted by this include the stomach, neck, face, arms, and legs. This article will focus on how to tighten loose skin on arms naturally or to get rid of it, so that you no longer feel even the slightest of misgivings about flaunting your upper arms in that adorable tank top.
Of course, weight loss isn’t the only source of saggy arms. Several factors can play a role in this, such as giving birth or the natural aging process. As a consequence, you may feel not only self-conscious, but also physically uncomfortable, depending on the amount of loose skin you have. In this article, we’ll talk about what causes this looseness in more detail, followed by a discussion on natural remedies that can improve the appearance of saggy skin, which you can try at home.
Table of Contents
- The major causes of saggy skin
- How to tighten loose skin on arms naturally at home
- Recommended products that help with skin tightening
The major causes of saggy skin
Aging, prolonged sun exposure, sudden weight loss, and toxin buildup are some of the reasons that can be responsible for sagging skin. Let’s talk about the most common causes in a little more detail:
The extra weight that your body has been carrying around can have lasting effects on the collagen and elastin fibers within your skin. This slows down your skin’s ability to return to its initial level of elasticity, which means that, after the weight is lost, your skin may not automatically tighten up. It’s especially so for those who lose a large amount of weight in a short amount of time.
The dermis, i.e., the thickest layer of your skin, produces two important proteins: elastin and collagen. While the former keeps your skin elastic, the latter is responsible for its tautness. As we age, the speed of protein production gradually declines, causing the skin to lose its elasticity. This process of deterioration is aided by environmental factors such as exposure to UV rays, pollution, and certain lifestyle habits like an unhealthy diet, smoking, and drinking. Premature aging can result in sagging, fine lines, and wrinkles, among other signs.
How to tighten loose skin on arms naturally at home
There are a lot of non-surgical treatment methods that you can perform at home to help tighten your sagging skin. How effective these methods prove depends on the amount of loose skin your arms have. However, if you keep at it consistently, you’re likely to start seeing results.
If your skin has begun to sag post-pregnancy or after a major weight loss, exercising is one of the most practical ways of restoring tautness. This involves regular movements that use your muscles in the arm, such as lifting weights, doing yoga, or taking up Pilates. The benefits of exercise will not be limited to rebuilding your skin’s health. You’ll feel stronger, fitter, and more active overall.
A lot of research has been dedicated to the skin-regenerating effects of collagen and elastin supplements. They have the ability to hit pause on the aging process and speed up protein production, so that the skin is able to bounce back from the sagging effects of excessive weight loss and stay protected against environmental damage.
Topical treatments are another non-invasive form of tightening loose skin that can improve the appearance of sagging skin. These days, you can access multiple over-the-counter ointments, creams, gels, and serums that are designed to improve your skin’s elasticity and strength and help you get rid of saggy skin. Prescription treatments such as retinol are also known for their collagen-boosting properties, but obtaining them will require you to consult with a dermatologist.
However, it’s essential for you to keep in mind that while topical remedies are one of the easiest and most useful methods of tightening loose skin, you need to massage a few times every day before you start seeing results.
Recommended products that help with skin tightening
Try as you might to keep it at bay, sagging skin is a natural part of growing older. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t take certain measures to slow it down, and while you’re at it, treat yourself to some much-needed TLC. Here are some natural (and oh-so-aromatic) remedies that, if applied every day, will go a long way in helping you with both those goals:
- This Coconut Milk and Argan Oil Body Lotion contains a powerful blend of antioxidants along with other bioactive ingredients that work in tandem to boost collagen, repair damage, and retain your skin’s moisture. Coconut is known for fighting the effects of free radicals, whereas argan oil soothes inflammation and leaves you with supple, smoother skin. No matter what your skin type, regularly massaging with this paraben-free concoction will allow the ingredients to penetrate and tighten tissues from the inside.
- Infused with the cell-reviving abilities of lemongrass, kaffir lime, and jasmine absolute, this WOW Skin Science Thai Body Massage Oil helps you strengthen your skin’s structure and reverse damage. Containing vitamin C, which is famous for boosting collagen production, the massage oil provides optimal moisturization and works by keeping your skin hydrated, improving its elasticity, and slowing down the signs of aging. Rich in nutrients and minerals, this oil is 100% vegan and free from parabens, silicones, and artificial color.
Firmly massaging your skin with these products every day can provide a range of long-lasting benefits for your skin and act as an effective treatment for sagging and for boosting skin tightening. To explore body lotions and moisturizers, browse through the WOW Skin Science collection and treat your skin to the best of nature.
What Are the Benefits of Activated Charcoal in Soap?
Hyaluronic Acid: 8 Skin & Health Benefits
4 Vitamin C Facial Benefits