Gravity is a powerful part of life, and our skin isn’t durable enough to stand up to its effects. As we age, we see our skin start to sag, new wrinkles and divots forming, and a lot of change we might not have expected. It can be scary, but there are ways to combat it.
Can sagging skin be reversed? Does coconut oil tighten skin? How about other natural ingredients? Let’s get to it!
Why Does Skin Sag?
Here are some reasons why your skin may start to loosen:
- Natural Aging: Skin naturally starts to loosen as you age and produce less collagen and elasticity. Believe it or not, your skin actually starts “aging” quite early at age 25! You may start to notice lines around your eyes, mouth, or on your forehead. This is why preventative care and taking care of your skin at a young age will keep it looking youthful for as long as possible.
- Sun Damage: Too much sun exposure from harsh UVA and UVB rays can cause your body to produce less elastin, which normally keeps your skin tight and supple. That’s why sun protection is a must, even if you’re indoors on a cloudy day. Always make sure to wear a minimum of SPF 30 to protect your skin and prevent signs of premature aging.
- Weight Loss: If you lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time, you could be left with excess sagging skin in areas like your face, stomach, and arms. Many people are frustrated by this after working so hard to achieve their weight loss goals! The best way to avoid this issue during weight loss is to take it slow by aiming to lose a couple of pounds a week in order to give your skin time to adjust to your progress.
- Poor Diet: If you aren’t getting enough essential nutrients from your diet, your body cannot properly produce collagen, which keeps your skin young, firm, and soft. High amounts of alcohol consumption can also accelerate skin aging since it dehydrates and removes moisture away from your skin, leaving you with more wrinkles and fine lines as a result. Furthermore, a lack of exercise can cause poor blood circulation that negatively affects the delicate skin on your face and can leave you with sagging skin.
How to Tighten Sagging Skin On Face: What Natural Ingredients Help Tighten Skin?
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is one of the best natural moisturizers. It’s able to penetrate deep into your saggy skin and reach layers that are usually neglected by other moisturizing products. It also stimulates collagen protection and contains antioxidants to promote the appearance of healthy, young-looking skin.
- Olive Oil: This amazing skin moisturizer traps moisture within your skin and helps to fill in fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also a great source of vitamin E and antioxidants that protect your skin and fight free-radical damage.
- Rosemary Essential Oil: This natural skin toner boosts blood circulation that helps promote healthy skin cell growth. It also contains antioxidants that enhance the skin’s elasticity and helps slow down visible signs of aging.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is a miracle worker when it comes to damaged saggy skin. This is especially true when it comes to sun damage, which is a major cause of wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and other signs of aging. Aloe Vera helps refine your skin and protect it from future sun damage.
- Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is used as a toner and astringent to deep clean, refine, and tighten your pores. It is also able to counteract certain enzymes that break down collagen and elastin levels to promote tight and resilient skin.
- Papaya: The enzymes in this delicious fruit help tighter pores for a smooth, youthful, and glowy appearance. It is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C to help boost collagen synthesis.
- Banana: This breakfast favorite is jam-packed with beneficial vitamins and minerals, like iron, zinc, potassium, vitamins A, B, C, D, and magnesium. This hydration boost can help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles caused by dry skin. They can also help detox your skin and leave it feeling tight and bright. Combining banana with honey, lemon juice, turmeric, or orange juice into a homemade mask are all great ways to fight sagging skin with some delicious grocery store-available items.
- Coffee Grounds: If your daily routine already depends on coffee, why not add it to your skincare routine? Coffee grounds provide three huge benefits for anti-aging. First, the caffeine in topically applied coffee grounds can help break down some of the fat deposits in the skin. Second, the texture of coffee grounds makes it an effective exfoliant to remove dead skin cells from your face. Third, coffee grounds contain powerful antioxidants that can protect the skin from future damage from free radicals and environmental pollutants. Some DIY scrub recipes combine coffee grounds with sugar, honey, cocoa powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, or green tea.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps to smooth and tighten loose skin. However, you shouldn’t use just any yogurt. Instead, choose a natural unflavored yogurt or even plain greek yogurt combined with honey, turmeric, or lemon juice to revitalize your skin and leave it smelling yummy.
- Egg Whites: Egg whites have a large amount of a protein called albumin that can improve the skin’s elasticity. It also contains Vitamin A that can help heal damaged skin cells, scars, and dark spots. You can easily create your own egg white mask at home by combining egg whites with honey, lemon juice, grapes, chamomile, or oats.
Your New Anti-Aging Routine
Even if you’ve been consistent with your skincare routine, as your skin ages and changes, you may need to make some adjustments. Here are the essential steps to creating an anti-aging skin care routine:
- Cleanser. Even if you have a religious cleansing ritual that you follow morning and night, you may need to reevaluate your cleansing product to make sure that it’s really working for you as you age. It’s important to find a gentle and natural cleanser that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals that may irritate and dry out your skin. For example, WOW Skin Science’s Ubtan Foaming Face Wash includes natural ingredients like almond oil, turmeric, and saffron. These ingredients help exfoliate dead skin cells, prevent fine lines, fight dryness, and illuminate your skin tone.
- Exfoliant: If you have been using a physical exfoliant for years, it’s time to make the switch. Chemical exfoliants don’t include the rough physical exfoliants that can actually cause micro-tears in your skin and even more sagging! The best chemical exfoliants have AHAs and BHAs like glycolic acid and lactic acid to help dissolve dead skin cells and leave your face looking younger and refreshed, without the harsh scrubbing action.
- Serum: Serums are powerful potions that are jam-packed with active ingredients to treat any skin issues. Look for serums that are specifically for combatting signs of aging with ingredients like retinol, tretinoin, and vitamin C.
- Moisturizer: Your skin gets drier as you age, which makes moisturizer even more important! You may want to switch to a thicker moisturizer or body butter that can counteract the drying active ingredients like glycerin and hyaluronic acid. You may want to use different moisturizers for daytime and nighttime since your skin behaves differently while you sleep. Generally, for daytime, you’ll want a lighter moisturizer that has SPF and can protect your skin and keep it hydrated through the day. For nighttime however, a thicker, more repairative moisturizer is helpful for rehydrating your skin and working to really provide deep-reaching moisture.
- Sunscreen: The last component of an anti-aging skincare routine is SPF. This non-negotiable step fights the common cause of aging - sun damage. Make sure to wear broad-spectrum SPF every day, rain or shine, indoors or outdoors to prevent and stop worsening signs of aging.
When assembling products for your revamped skincare routine, it’s important to focus on natural ingredients. However, just because a product claims to be ‘“natural” or “organic” doesn’t really mean that it is. That’s why you always need to check the ingredients label on a product before you purchase it -- you may be surprised to find harsh chemicals in products that claim to be totally natural.
WOW Skin Science is a brand that is completely dedicated to creating natural skin products that are safe and gentle, but still extremely effective. All of our products are vegan-friendly, gluten-free, sulfate-free, paraben-free, and aren’t tested on animals. They offer a wide range of products including everything from body butter, to serums, cleansers, moisturizers, and even essential oils!
Clearly, you don’t need artificial or chemical ingredients to tighten your skin -- those ingredients might even do more harm than good! By focusing on natural ingredients like coconut oil, papaya, coffee grounds, and more, you are able to properly nourish your skin, treat current skin concerns, and prevent future signs of aging all at the same time.
Apple Cider Vinegar - Ingrown Hair Treatment