Featured Articles ➔
Loose Neck Skin at 40: Causes, Remedies, & Prevention
Loose neck skin, also known as turkey neck, becomes prominent in your late 30s and 40s. If you are struggling with ways to make your skin firm and tight again, well, you are in the right place.
In this article, we will discuss the 3 main causes of loose neck skin at 40 as well as the various treatments and prevention techniques for the same.
Table of Contents:
- What Are the Causes of Loose Neck Skin at 40?
- Sun Damage
- Weight Loss
- How Can I Reverse Loose Neck Skin?
- Home-Based Treatments
- Medical Treatments
- How Can I Prevent My Neck Skin from Sagging?
What Are the Causes of Loose Neck Skin at 40?
There are 3 main causes of loose neck skin at 40. Read on to find out more.
Collagen protein is responsible for keeping your skin firm and tight. As you get older, its production decreases due to enzymes called matrix metalloproteinases, or MMPs. It has been proven by a study. This leads to sagging of skin, especially in the face and neck areas.
Sun damage is the second major cause of loose skin. Constant or prolonged exposure to UV radiation from the sun leads to aging. It decreases the production of collagen and elastin in the skin, as shown by a study. It becomes prominent on the neck because the neck has very thin skin, second only to the eyelids. Plus, your neck is almost always exposed, thus is more susceptible to photodamage.
If you have recently shed a massive amount of weight in a span of time, you are likely to observe loose skin on your entire body. A study has shown that when you lose a lot of weight in a short span, the skin is unable to match the rate of weight loss.
How Can I Reverse Loose Neck Skin?
Fortunately, loose neck skin can be tightened through a variety of treatments, both home-based and medical procedures.
If you do not want to undergo any type of medical treatment, there are several home-based remedies you can try.
- Almond Oil: Almond oil contains vitamin E, ergo, anti-aging properties. It helps in increasing the blood circulation in the neck area, which induces collagen production. Massage a few drops of coconut oil every day before going to bed.
- Banana Neck Mask: Bananas have an abundance of antioxidants and lutein, which makes the skin cells elastic. Mash a banana, mix it with some almond oil, and put the mask over your neck. Wash after 15 minutes.
- Skin-Tightening Creams: Skin-tightening creams are widely available in the market. Look for ingredients like niacinamide, vitamin C, vitamin E, retinol, tretinoin, peptides, hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid, or glycolic acid. All these ingredients have proven their efficacy in tightening the skin. Studies show that niacinamide improves skin elasticity, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmented spots, red blotchiness, and yellowing of the skin. Vitamin C should be used in a concentration of 5 to 15%. It increases collagen production in the skin and makes it more firm, as shown by a study. Hyaluronic acid keeps the skin hydrated and decreases laxity, proven by another study. One study showed that glycolic acid and retinol were more effective than other anti-aging ingredients in improving the appearance of photoaged skin. In fact, the combination of 8% glycolic acid and 0.1% retinol further improved the appearance of photoaged skin as compared to both ingredients separately.
Facial Yoga: There is some evidence
to support that facial yoga leads to a more youthful appearance and firmer skin. However, it does take at least a couple of months to show a noticeable difference in the firmness of your skin.
In medical treatments, there are surgical and nonsurgical options to treat loose neck skin. Non-invasive options include ultrasound skin tightening, radiofrequency, etc.
The surgical alternative is cervicoplasty, or neck lift surgery, in which some tissue under the skin is repositioned and excess neck skin is trimmed.
How Can I Prevent My Neck Skin from Sagging?
You should start taking care of your skin while it is still firm and tight. A simple yet effective skincare routine and a healthy lifestyle can prevent your neck skin from sagging.
Eat Foods Rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
These acids make it easier for your body to produce collagen and keep your neck skin looking firm and tight for as long as possible.
Examples include avocados, flaxseed oil, salmon, mackerel, walnuts, etc.
Avoid consuming sugars in your daily diet as they accelerate the process of aging.
Some amount of exercise, at least twice a week, promotes new healthy layers of skin.
These new layers are thicker and more elastic than earlier.
Wear Sunscreen Daily
Choose a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. It has been shown to be very effective in protecting the skin against photodamage.
Exfoliating your skin once every week can remove the dead skin cells. Otherwise, these dead cells will clog your pores and make your skin look dull and older.
Always exfoliate the face and neck both.
As mentioned previously, ingredients like vitamin C improve collagen production in your skin and make it look tight for long.
Make sure to pick a high-quality vitamin C cream and use it daily to avoid sagging skin.
Skin tightening creams, almond oil, and facial yoga are some things you can do to reverse loose neck skin.
To simplify skincare products, I have two product recommendations for you.
WOW Coconut Clarifying Micellar Water is enriched with gentle and skin-boosting micelles. It traps impurities and removes pollutants, excess oil, and stubborn makeup without hurting the skin’s natural moisture. Use it for a soothing, deep clean effect.
WOW Vitamin C Face Cream works to renew, brighten, repair, nourish, and even out the skin tone. A dime-sized amount is all you need every morning to make your skin healthier and plumper. Massage evenly on the face and neck. Follow up with sunscreen.
For other excellent product recommendations, check out the WOW website.