If you are a curly-haired person, I bet you’ve never said these words in your life: “My hair is easy to handle.” Unlike straight hair types, curly hair types, no matter their curl pattern, although beautiful and unique, are a hassle to manage. But this doesn’t mean that there aren’t any solutions to their problems.
The struggle with curly hair is genuine, and I get it. My sister has dense, curly hair. One of the complaints I have constantly been hearing from her is: my curly hair is flat on top, what shall I do?
Keep on reading to find out what helped her to solve this issue:
Table of contents:
- Why does my hair fall flat on top?
- How to get root volume with curly hair?
- Does layering hair make it curlier?
- Our Solution
Why does my hair fall flat on top?
If you think that you are alone in the battle of dealing with flat hair on top, you’re wrong. It is estimated that approximately 65 per cent of the entire population of the U.S. have curly or wavy hair, and it's safe to assume that many of them deal with this issue. Let's address the potential causes of the problem one by one:
- You might be using your conditioner incorrectly, from the roots to ends. The right way to use a conditioner is to apply it only towards the ends and not on your scalp. You will lose volume if you apply your conditioner to the roots.
- Have you ever heard of the phrase “Less is more”? It is true, because over-cleansing your hair can lead to more damage than good, especially if you have dry hair. Try to incorporate a gentle shampoo and conditioner so that your hair does not lose its moisture and you don't end up with frizz in the top layer of your hair.
- Your flat curls are still wet (or damp), and you are going to sleep. This is the one practice that curly hair people should avoid doing. It results in loss of hair volume because you are giving your hair a flat surface for it to dry on. Always make sure to dry your hair completely before going to sleep.
- You are using a lot of heat on your flat curls, resulting in damaged hair. Heat damage does not only happen to curly hair types, but all hair types. Experts say that heat damages your hair, and it is advisable to avoid using it.
- You are using too many styling products that could be damaging and heavy for the roots of your hair. It is a common belief that using loads of products will work well, but it’s a myth. Applying too many hair products, be it gels or mousses, can lead to product build-up on your scalp and hair, which with weigh it down.
How to get root volume with curly hair?
Now that you know the causes of your curly hair being flat on the top, let us discuss how you can deal with it.
Balance is the key
Did you know that you can over-moisturize your hair? If you constantly keep your hair in contact with water and use deep conditioning methods/products, you can over-moisturize your hair. This can cause your curls to flatten at the top.
Well, the key is to maintain balance. Go easy with the styling products (and the blow dryer, for that matter) and since deep conditioning is necessary for curly hair, don’t avoid it, but only proceed as recommended in the ‘How to use’ section on the product package. For example, you can use onion black seed oil to strengthen your locks, but only twice a week.
Clarify your scalp
Ever heard of the phrase “Whenever you begin to do something, start with a clean slate?” If your hair is flat at the roots, the reason might be that the product build-up from moisturizers, styling products, or even hard water weighs them down. The best way to tackle the issue is to use a clarifying shampoo and hydrating conditioner combo to remove product build-up.
Use lightweight products
If you feel like your hair serums are too heavy for your hair type and they weigh your hair down, try to use hair oils instead. Products that are lighter in texture will retain the bounce of your hair all day, every day! Use them sparingly, avoiding your roots.
The upside-down method
Sometimes it is the small changes that lead to bigger and better results. When you dry your hair with your head upside down, you give the roots of your hair that extra lift they require. This method will create volume at the top of your hair and hence prevent it from flattening.
Here are a few additional tips and tricks that have been tried and tested by the experts in the hair industry:
- When your hair is dry, flip it sideways and shake your roots with your fingers to “wake them up”.
- For hair that gets flat at the top, curl clipping can come in very handy.
- Lastly, when you go to sleep, try the pineapple updo hairstyle so that you do not lose volume. Here is a tutorial on how to do it.
Does layering hair make it curlier?
With curly hair, layering makes a significant difference as it gives the hair more definition. However, to get the desired effects, you must get a haircut from someone who knows what they are doing and can reshape your hair and give it a fuller look.
Caring for curly hair can be troublesome, but it can also be fun, if you learn to embrace your curls! Use these tips and tricks to prevent your curly hair from becoming flat on top. Remember that patience is necessary as things do not work overnight; as with all good things, it takes time.
Could Not Find the Solution to Your Problem? We Have plenty More For you!
Check out WowSkinScience’s Unique offerings in diversified Haircare and Skincare ranges, that provide a holistic approach to your Hair and Skin Care needs. From Shampoos, to Conditioners, Face Masks to Moisturizers, there is everything you need to complete your regimen with top rated products with natural ingredients. The store also caries essential oils to help rejuvenate and provide 100% pure single oils and blends to tackle head-to-toe beauty and wellness woes, naturally.
In case you wish to discover more fascinating details about our products, check out our blog section with a wide range of topical discussions that is guaranteed to help you make the right choice! We also help with providing Expert Advice, and addressing your Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
If you are still unsure, our Best Sellers are some of our most trusted products and are guaranteed to be great for your needs! With stellar client reviews and robust benefits, you couldn’t make a bad choice here!
Shopping on a budget and looking for the best deals? Check out our Value Bundles, designed for your care at great prices!
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It