This holiday essential has more benefits than what meets the eye. Its pungent and recognizable fragrance is used in food, beauty, and hair products for its naturally effective properties. Ready to add peppermint essential oil to your routine?
What is Peppermint Essential Oil?
Deriving from the peppermint plant (botanical name: mentha piperita) native to North America and Europe, it is a cross between a spearmint and watermint. The benefits go beyond, boasting versatile properties that help in more ways than you think. Its beginnings are traced “back to Chinese and Japanese folk medicine practices and even Ancient Egyptian times where dried Peppermint leaves were found placed in tombs inside the pyramids.” We encounter peppermint in our toothpaste, candy, and other confections but its health benefits do so much more. With its status as one of the most multipurpose essential oil blends, let’s explore what other things peppermint oil is capable of doing beyond fresh breath.
Peppermint Essential Oil: Benefits, Uses, and More
What is peppermint essential oil used for? How do I use peppermint essential oil?
- Headaches - Peppermint oil is used in aromatherapy to invigorate and stimulate the mind to increase mental agility, relieve tension headaches, and headaches. “With a small amount of almond or other carrier oil and a drop of undiluted peppermint oil, rub on your temples, forehead, over the sinuses (avoid contact with eyes), and on the back of the neck to help soothe headache and pressure. “ If headaches are preventing you from sleeping, peppermint essential oil can be good for sleeping!
- Skincare - Peppermint’s astringent properties can help fight and soothe acne, skin irritations, itching, and redness. By acting as a natural anesthetic, this essential oil calms skin to promote essential healing for the skin.
Haircare - When used as a shampoo booster, it helps to fight scalp itch and dandruff. How do you use peppermint oil for hair growth? Just add a few drops of peppermint oil (1-2) in your shampoo bottle, or dilute in a spray bottle of water for a more direct scalp treatment. Peppermint essential oil’s restorative properties boost hair thickness and help healthy hair growth. You can see why it’s such a popular haircare addition!
- Insect Repellent - Peppermint is a fantastic, natural option to keep pesky pests and insects away! While best for repelling ants and spiders, it does a good job of keeping most creepy crawlers at bay, including beetles, moths, flies, and mice.
- Energy - The awakening aroma of peppermint can help boost mental focus and stimulate the sense to fully wake, and set you up to start the day right. The invigorating engages the senses to keep you staying energized for the day. Try it in your morning routine with WOW Skin Science’s Peppermint, Pine & Rosemary Foaming Body Wash!
- Coughs/Congestion - A natural decongestant, peppermint oil’s “expectorant properties clear the nasal passageway to promote the relief of congestion and to encourage easy breathing.” The best way to utilize this is by diffusing it overnight when you’re feeling stuffy and congested. It will do wonders to soothe inflammation and give you relief.
- Inflammation - The antiseptic and astringent properties of peppermint oil can help alleviate the pain of inflammation in the mouth and throat. That’s why it’s often found in mouthwashes and toothpaste!
- Sinuses - The refreshing peppermint scent opens the passageways to allow relief from sinus issues. Experience relief with peppermint essential oil when steam distilled or diluted and rubbed on the chest.
- Digestive Issues - A long-standing go-to home remedy to quell digestion problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, the anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint oil help soothe irritation in the GI tract. Drink peppermint tea, or rub 1 drop of peppermint oil diluted in 15mL of carrier oil (like castor, jojoba, or coconut oil) onto your stomach region to ease the pain of digestion-related issues like heartburn. A little goes a long way and works quickly to provide much-needed relief.
- Nausea - “When diluted and inhaled or when rubbed in small amounts behind the ear, this digestive oil can reduce the feeling of nausea.” Especially for pregnant women, inhaling diffused peppermint oil can help decrease the feeling of nausea naturally. Diffusing is great for this as you get a gentle, slow-release of its potent powers so the overwhelming fragrance is subdued.
- Vomiting - Much like the same way peppermint oil qualms nausea, vomiting can be prevented by peppermint essential oil’s soothing properties. It can be applied topically in the abdominal area to provide anti-inflammatory relief, just make sure to properly dilute the essential oil.
- Indigestion - Due to “a carminative property of expelling gas”, peppermint oil is useful to relieve discomfort from indigestion and subsequent abdominal pain. The calming properties also work to regulate the internal discord within your intestinal system.
- Cramps - Apply a bit of diluted peppermint oil topically on painful areas to help alleviate aches and cramps. Its antibacterial properties have the ability to cure painful cramping issues when they arise.
Making the Most of Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits: How To Use Peppermint Essential Oil Safely
The best way to use peppermint oil safely is by diffusing or applying topically. If you choose the latter, it must be done in moderation and diluted as this extremely powerful essential oil can create a burn if not used properly. Compared to its other essential oil counterparts, peppermint oil has a higher potency level, so use it sparingly - no more than 2-3 EVER. Dilute it in a carrier oil such as coconut oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, etc. This way, peppermint essential oil can safely deliver its benefits without causing skin irritations.
The safest way to use any essential oil is by conducting a patch test for 24 hours and checking for signs of damage. If you do see irritation, discontinue use, and consult your health care provider.
Can inhaling peppermint oil be harmful? Diffusion is an extremely popular method to utilize peppermint oil, as it fills the room with a revitalizing scent. Disperse the aroma with these methods:
- Ultrasonic Diffuser - This method of diffusion harnesses the power of sonic waves to create a mistlike vapor that combines the essential oil and water together.
- Electric Diffuser - Using electricity to warm up the water and essential oil mixture, and fans out the mixture into the air. “Often they incorporate a fiber pad or wick that is saturated with the oil, which substantially increases the surface area from which evaporation occurs.” Not tied to just plug in versions, an electric diffuser can also be powered by USB or battery operation to achieve the same results.
- Aromatherapy Necklaces - Aromatherapy diffuser necklaces are the perfect wearable way to let your soothing aromas accompany you wherever you go! Outside, in your home, or on the go, you can take all of the amazing benefits of essential oil right along with you!
- Terra Cotta Diffuser - You may recognize these types of diffusers as beautiful objects of red pottery. Requiring no heating method, the oil gets dispersed through the porous clay and gently diffuses scent into the atmosphere. Setting it near sunlight or well-circulated area can bring out the aroma in a more gentle and consistent manner.
- Sprays or Mists - When mixed with water, a spray or mister is the simplest way to disperse the essential oil aroma into the environment. Try various combinations to formulate your own unique scent.
- Candle Lamp Diffuser - Using a small tea lamp to heat up water containing the essential oil will create a slowly dispersing scent. This method creates a nice ambiance but does require more attention.
Ingestion is not a recommended method of using peppermint oil, so keep it away from young children. Refrain from consuming this oil as the high levels of this potent oil can prove to be harmful. Keep it clear away from dogs and cats as it is poisonous to them if ingested. If you have pets and wish to diffuse peppermint oil, test it in the smallest amount, be sure there is plenty of ventilation and keep an eye out to see how your pets react.
The sheer amount of power in just a few drops of peppermint oil makes it a truly diverse essential oil, making it a must to boost your daily routine. In the world of aromatherapy, it is definitely considered one of the top pure essential oils in terms of versatility beyond being a minty breath refresher.
Whether you are looking to alleviate stress, awaken your mind, heal your throbbing pain, clear up your congestion, calm your stomach down, or even soothe a dry, itchy scalp, there doesn’t seem to be anything this super essential oil can do. Harnessing the natural abilities of this super plant will help you live the healthiest lifestyle you deserve, so check out WOW Skin Science’s Peppermint Essential Oil to see for yourself!
No recommended products
No related articles