It can be frustrating to deal with a dry and itchy scalp. Not to mention the white flakes that appear on your shirt and pillows, causing embarrassment. However, you are not alone. Dry scalp is one of the most common hair problems. Research shows that around half of the world’s population suffers from dandruff and dry scalp. There are various methods and treatments to treat dry scalp. However, most preferred natural way is to use the best essential oils for dry scalp. This one-step hair care solution will combat itchiness and inflammation, naturally.
Table of contents:
- What are the reasons for dry scalp?
- How can essential oils help get rid of dry scalp?
- Which essential oils work best for dry scalp?
- How to use essential oils on your hair and scalp?
What are the reasons for dry scalp?
Before starting with any treatment, you should first figure out the root cause of dryness and itchiness on your scalp. According to dermatologists, there could be several reasons for a dry and itchy scalp:
- Excessive hair washing is one of the most common reasons for dry scalp. If you wash your hair too much, the harsh chemicals in shampoos will wash off the natural moisture on your scalp, leaving it dry and itchy.
- Too much heat styling can leave you with an irritated scalp. After all, your scalp is skin too!
- Your scalp can also feel dry during weather changes. Make sure to wash your hair with cold water to replenish moisture and seal your cuticles for improved water retention.
- Any allergies or skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis can also cause dry scalp, inflammation, and itchiness.
- Dandruff could also be another major cause of dry scalp. Caused by a fungus, this appears as white flakes on the scalp and can be combated with antifungal essential oils. More on that later!
- An unhealthy diet could also result in a dry and flaky scalp.
How can essential oils help get rid of dry scalp?
The hair follicles in our scalp produce a lot of oil or sebum. It keeps the hair moisturized by distributing the oil throughout the length of our hair. However, at times, the hair follicles get clogged due to dirt, fungal, or bacterial infection. As a result, the trapped sebum does not reach our scalp or length of the hair, leaving it prone to dryness.
So, how do you get rid of dry scalp naturally? Try essential oils to moisturize dry scalp and boost healthy hair growth! Many essential oils have antibacterial and healing properties. When applied to the scalp through haircare products or oil massage, they penetrate the roots of the hair to provide deep conditioning. These essential oils also help to unclog the hair follicles and prevent itchiness, dandruff, and hair fall.
You can add a few drops of our recommended 100% pure essential oils into your hair products such as shampoos, conditioners, or a carrier oil to directly treat your scalp. Applying even the best essential oils on their own to your scalp may cause irritations, so you must dilute them in another scalp-safe product.
Which essential oils work best for dry scalp?
It is scientifically proven that essential oils offer several hair care benefits to combat dry scalp and even boost hair growth. Here are our top recommended essential oils for dry scalp:
If you are constantly irritated with your scalp and hair, our 100% pure Lavender essential oil is your go-to product. Lavender is one of the most loved and widely used essential oils. It provides numerous health benefits. Along with a great smell and the power to freshen your mood, lavender essential oils are great for hair care.
The best benefit of lavender essential oil is that it is antimicrobial in nature. Additionally, this essential oil also has healing effects. It means that this essential oil prevents fungal or bacterial growth on your scalp to help combat infections. After a few uses, you will see reduced dry scalp and dandruff.
Another oil that can work wonders in treating dry and itchy scalp is our 100% pure Cedarwood essential oil. It contains an abundance of bioactive elements and antimicrobial properties that help in treating scalp infections, flaky scalp, and reduces dandruff. Cedarwood essential oil contains cedrene, a component that promotes blood circulation in the scalp to renew hair follicles and skin cells that improves its overall health.
Tea tree essential oil is the holy grail oil for your hair care. It has antiseptic properties and penetrates deep into your scalp to unclog the hair follicles. Tea tree oil provides intense moisture to your scalp and nourishes the roots, making your hair strong and healthy. All you need is pure tea tree essential oil by WOW Skin Science for a healthy and moisturized scalp.
Tea tree oil works as a natural cleanser for your hair that reduces dry flakes, itchiness, and dandruff, which may help boost hair growth. Studies have suggested that using shampoos with 5 percent tea tree oil can combat dry scalp and itchiness.
How to use essential oils on your hair and scalp?
As mentioned, you should avoid applying undiluted essential oils on your scalp because the pure formula is too strong, a little goes a long way! Here's how to use essential oils on your hair and scalp:
- Add 1-3 drops of essential oil to a palm full of castor oil or any other carrier oil.
- Gently massage it onto your scalp using fingertips in circular motions for 10-15 minutes as a pre-shampoo or overnight treatment.
- Tie your hair up and use heat to enhance the benefits with a hot towel wrap, a hot blow dryer, or working out to release body heat and open the hair cuticles.
- Shampoo and condition as usual to reveal wow-worthy hair!
Dry scalp not only causes irritation, but it can also be the root cause of several other hair issues such as excessive hair fall, damaged and dull hair.
Use WOW Skin Science essential oils to get rid of itchiness, provide natural nourishment to your hair and help boost hair growth!
No recommended products
How Do I Know if My Scalp Is Healthy? 4 Signs of an Unhealthy Scalp
Is Coconut Oil Good for a Dry Scalp
7 Ways to Prevent Dry Scalp in the Winter Time