You spend minutes on end in front of those shelves stacked with shampoos from every imaginable brand. You pick a brand that claims to be the best when it comes to making your hair straighter, thicker, better. You go home and try it out, but it is yet another dissapointment. Does that sound familiar? If yes, don't worry; we can help you choose the right shampoo.
It all comes down to the ingredients the shampoo contains. By choosing the right ingredients, you can select the best shampoo for straight, thick hair. But before that, let's take a look at why it is so important to choose the right shampoo.
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Choosing the Right Shampoo
- Ingredients to Look for and Ingredients to Avoid
- Haircare Tips to Get and Maintain Straight Thick Hair
- WOW Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
- WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner
The Importance of Choosing the Right Shampoo
Choosing the right shampoo is vital for several reasons. Let’s take a brief look at some of the most important ones.
- A good shampoo removes dirt and sebum, adds shine and volume to the hair. After all, softness and shine are signs of strong, healthy hair.
- It is used not only for cleansing the scalp, but also to prevent hair damage.
- Shampoos can help treat various scalp conditions such as dermatitis, seborrhea and psoriasis, if they contain the right active ingredients.
- The wrong shampoo may lead to skin conditions such as contact dermatitis. It may create frizz, or if you already have frizz, it may worsen it. And your will get tangled easily.
Ingredients to Look for and Ingredients to Avoid
To choose the right shampoo and conditioner for your hair, you should spend a considerable amount of time looking at the ingredients. Many ingredients can cause more damage than repair and irritate your scalp. Let's first take a look at the ingredients you should avoid when choosing the right shampoo.
- Make sure that your shampoo does not contain alcohols such as stearyl and cetyl alcohol. They will dehydrate your hair and make it look dry and lifeless.
- Lubricants such as petroleum are a big no-no in shampoos. They will make your hair greasy.
- Perhaps a no-brainer, but you should avoid using shampoos containing sulfates such as Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). Sulfates are added in shampoos to cause lather, but they also cause frizz and make your hair look dull and lifeless.
- Avoid ingredients such as Cocamidopropyl betaine, methylchloroisothiazolinone, formaldehyde-releasing preservatives, propylene glycol, tocopherol, parabens, and benzophenones. These ingredients have the potential to cause allergies.
- Choose a shampoo that is devoid of silicones, as they weigh your hair down.
These are the ingredients that your shampoo should contain:
- Look for shampoos that contain keratin. Keratin is a fibrous structural protein that smoothens the hair strands, which results in softer and healthier-looking hair. It also helps reduce frizz and protects hair from damage, which can be particularly helpful for those with color-treated hair.
- If you want to add more shine to your hair, you should look for ingredients such as coconut milk, soybean, almond, and sunflower oils, as well as vitamins B5, C, and E.
- Also, to enhance the fullness of hair, look for shampoos that contain anionic and cationic polymers, rice, and corn. These ingredients bind the hair strands and make them look fuller.
- A sulfate-free shampoo containing a humectant such as glycerin also helps in retaining moisture in your hair. Mango seed oil, for instance, does the same job and restores elasticity in your hair.
Haircare Tips to Get and Maintain Straight Thick Hair
- Make sure that you detangle your hair post shampooing with a wide-tooth comb. However, make sure you don't brush it when it is still wet because you can cause hair breakage.
- Look for a conditioner suited for straight, thick hair, containing moisturizing ingredients such as argan oil, shea butter, vitamin B5, etc. These ingredients help in hydrating hair, reducing brittle, damaged hair, and lock in moisture.
- Excessive styling can suck the life out of healthy hair. So, minimize the amount of heat styling tools you use (particularly if you have color-treated hair) and let your hair be natural for as long as you can.
- Use the correct techniques when using haircare products. Many people make the mistake of using conditioner on their scalp as well. You only need to use it on the strands of your hair.
- Avoid overusing products because the excessive product will flatten the hair and weigh it down.
- Straight hair is prone to split ends, so make sure to trim them every four to five weeks.
- Consume many fruits, vegetables, grains, lentils, nuts, and leafy greens to retain healthy hair. Also, reduce consumption of oily foods because excess oil in your system will make your straight hair oily and flat.
All in all, you now know everything about choosing the right shampoo for straight, thick hair. If you are looking for a great shampoo and conditioner duo, we have a couple of options for you:
WOW Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner is a set of hydrating sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner that provide nourishing vitamins and reduce the chances of hair breakage and split ends. Their restorative properties help maintain your thick straight hair in perfect condition.
Argan oil, also known as liquid gold, has various beneficial properties. It moisturizes and conditions thick hair, prevents styling and coloring damage, improves overall scalp health, and protects from sunlight.
WOW Argan Oil shampoo is rich in omega-6 fatty acids and vitamins A & E. It enhances the gloss for stunning, healthy hair by improving the hydro-lipid layer. The conditioner also contains niacin and castor oil, both of which help grow healthy hair and prevent hair thinning.
WOW Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner are sulfate-free and packed with nourishing coconut milk extract. They also contain other natural ingredients such as aloe vera extract and hydrolyzed keratin, which can transform damaged hair into shiny, strong hair.
The coconut milk shampoo and conditioner provide moisture and hydration to lifeless hair, increases the blood supply to your scalp, and help reduce the chances of hair fall and hair breakage, whether you have thick hair or fine hair.
No recommended products
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It
Type 3C Hair: What It Is and How To Care for It