No matter what the weather, experiencing a dry and itchy scalp is an all too common occurrence. Not only does this not feel good, but the flakiness it causes doesn’t look good either.
There’s essential oils to help with the flu during winter, but what’s out there to help with other cold season symptoms like dry hair? Well, with the right routine and products, you no longer have to suffer from a dry and itchy scalp!
What Causes Dry Scalp?
The best way to combat your dry scalp is to figure out why it’s so dry in the first place. There are a variety of different causes of dry scalp that often require different solutions. Here are some of the most common causes of dry scalp so that you can literally get to the root of the problem:
- Your shampooing routine: Believe it or not, your tried and true hair care routine could be unintentionally causing your dry scalp! Washing your hair too often can lead to irritating dryness, as it strips your scalp of the natural oils it uses to stay hydrated. Instead, depending on your hair type, you should only be washing your hair 2 times a week at the most. Try to find the right balance when it comes to your shampooing habits.
- Pro Tip: you should also avoid using really hot water to wash your hair as this can also strip your hair of its natural oils and leave you with a dry and irritated scalp. Finishing with a cold water rinse will seal the hair cuticles to promote healthy shine!
- Your hair care products: Another potential cause of dry scalp relates to your hair care products. Some ingredients in hair care products can be really irritating and cause a condition called contact dermatitis that leads to itching, redness, and flakiness. Harsh and artificial ingredients can be especially irritating and should be eliminated if you’re having a negative reaction in favor of gentler and more natural products.
- The weather: Unlike the other two causes, this one you have little control over. The weather can actually contribute to dry scalp issues. This especially occurs in cold climates that can easily zap away all the moisture from your scalp. Furthermore, using artificial and dry heat, like your conventional heaters and blow dryers can also be really drying for your scalp and lead to additional irritation.
What Are the Best Solutions for Dry Scalp?
The good news is that no matter the cause, there are some effective solutions for all your dry scalp woes.
Here are some of the best remedies that we have found to be the most effective:
- Are you drinking enough water? How much water you’re consuming directly contributes to the moisture levels of not just your scalp, but the skin all over your body! Health care professionals recommend that women drink 11.5 cups of water per day and men drink 15.5 cups of water per day to keep your insides and outsides healthy.
- Eat the right foods. If you have a dry and flaky scalp, try cutting out things like carbs and sugars. Add hair-boosting supplements such as biotin, ferulic acid, fish oil, zinc, and Vitamins A, B, and C.
- Get some sun. Ultraviolet light can help control flakiness caused by dandruff. All you need is a few minutes a day so that you can have a healthy scalp without otherwise damaging your skin from the sun’s harsh rays.
- Use effective moisturizing products that are specifically designed for your scalp issues. We personally are fans of products that feature natural active ingredients, as those with artificial chemicals can be really harsh, drying, and irritating. WOW Skin Science only uses natural active ingredients in our products and we never include things like sulfates and parabens.
What Are the Best Products for Dry Scalp?
If you want to go a step further and actually identify some of the best products for combatting a dry scalp -- you have come to the right place!
Based on everything that we’ve discussed thus far, here are some of the best products to heal and nourish a dry scalp:
- WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo: You’ve heard of apple cider vinegar for your kitchen, but did you know that you can actually use it on your hair as well? This formula utilizes apple cider vinegar, argan oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, saw palmetto extract, and nettle leaf extract to balance the pH level of your scalp, combat itchiness, and eliminate flakes.
- WOW Skin Science Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner: If you’re looking for a set that really packs a punch, look no further! These products are formulated with amazing natural ingredients like Moroccan argan oil, aloe vera, castor oil, and jojoba oil to moisturize dry hair and scalp, fight hair fall, and add smoothness and shine to your hair.
- WOW Skin Science 10-in-1 Hair Revitalizer Spray: To really boost the health of your scalp and hair, try a leave-in conditioner! WOW’s formula is jam-packed with beneficial natural ingredients such as extra virgin olive oil, sweet almond oil, Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil, and tea tree essential oil to combat dryness, itchiness, breakage, frizz, and more!
With these tips and tricks you can get strong, nourished, and shiny hair back in no time! Just be sure to really tailor your routine for the health of your scalp and use beneficial and natural products like those made right here at WOW Skin Science.
From our essential oils to our hair care to skin care, WOW is proud to share authentic vegan beauty products you can trust!
The Best Clarifying Shampoo for Low Porosity Hair
5 Signs of a Dry Scalp and How to Remedy It
How Often Should You Shampoo and Condition Permed Hair