Hair loss is one of the most common hair problems faced by men and women worldwide. It may be caused by several factors such as stress, pollution, insufficient nutrition, disrupted sleep patterns, and much more.
However, most kinds of hair loss can be treated with some lifestyle and dietary changes and, in rare cases, medical treatments. You can also try natural hair care products.
In this article, we’ll first understand what hair loss is, the different types of it, and then look at the top 5 products for hair loss you must try now!
Table of contents:
- What is hair loss
- How hair loss works
- Causes of hair loss
- How do you treat hair loss
- Home remedies to combat hair loss
- Ingredients your products for hair loss must have
- Onion oil
- Argan oil
- Coconut oil
- Castor oil
- Essential oils
- Rose extract
- Top 5 products for hair loss you must try
What is hair loss
It is normal to lose some of your hair every day. We can lose up to 100 hair strands while brushing or washing hair. However, if you notice your hairbrush filling up with a significantly higher number of broken hair strands, you may be experiencing abnormal hair loss.
It may be caused by several factors such as stress (physical or mental), climatic conditions, hair damage, and hair care habits.
Hair loss caused by stress is known as telogen effluvium and is the most common form of stress-induced hair loss. Other stress-induced hair loss conditions like alopecia areata or trichotillomania (pulling out hair as a reaction to negative emotions) are less common and often require medical intervention.
However, when hair loss is not caused by stress or an underlying medical condition, it can usually be treated by changing your hair products, hair care regimen, diet, and lifestyle.
How hair loss works
Losing a small amount of hair every day is normal and even essential for healthy hair growth. Hair loss is one of the four distinct phases of hair growth, which are:
If you start losing too much hair, it means that too many hair follicles reach the telogen phase at once. While this condition is primarily caused by stress of any kind, it may also happen due to external factors such as sudden weather changes.
Causes of hair loss
As we previously said, hair loss can happen due to several reasons, including internal and external factors. Some internal factors that may cause hair loss are:
- physical stress such as an accident, injury, or illness - good news is that this type of hair loss is usually temporary
- emotional or mental stress such as problems at work, financial debt or burdens, death of a loved one, moving to a new place etc.
- if you are stressed every day due to any reason, even if it’s not connected to a specific traumatic event
- a diet that lacks proper nutrition
- hormonal changes during pregnancy (this type of hair loss is temporary and may restore naturally post-pregnancy)
- an unclean scalp environment that has product, oil, or dirt build-up
- a scalp that is too dry or too oily (which may also cause severe dandruff)
- any underlying medical conditions such as thyroid imbalance or anorexia
Some external factors that can cause hair loss are:
- excessive hair damage due to heat and sunlight
- hair products with harsh chemicals
- using a shampoo that doesn’t clear build-up effectively
- breakage due to damaged hair (most hair loss may initially present as breakage rather than hair falling out from the roots)
If you suspect your hair loss might be due to an underlying health condition, you should see a qualified physician to rule it out.
How do you treat hair loss
Most types of abnormal hair loss can usually be resolved with a few simple home remedies and products.
Home remedies to combat hair loss
Follow these simple tips to reduce hair loss effectively:
While adopting the remedies mentioned above, you may benefit from including certain ingredients in your regimen.
Ingredients your products for hair loss must have
Here’s a list of natural ingredients that your products for hair loss must have.
Onion oil is naturally rich in vitamin C, which is essential for the vitality of your hair. It also has natural antifungal properties that can reduce dandruff and promote scalp health. It’s also rich in antioxidants that can help fight the damage caused by pollution and chemicals and help reduce hair loss.
Argan oil, also known as liquid gold, has many benefits for hair. It’s full of nutrients that provide deep hydration and nourishment to your scalp as well as hair strands. It can help make your hair stronger and reduce breakage and split ends, which can reduce hair loss.
Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E, antioxidants, and other nutrients that promote overall hair health. Massaging it into your scalp also promotes blood circulation to provide deep nourishment to your roots. It can help your hair grow stronger and healthier. It can reduce breakage and hair loss by making your hair follicles healthier.
Castor oil is often touted for the many benefits it can provide for your hair and skin. It is full of vital nutrients that can nourish, hydrate, and strengthen your hair. It may also help restore your hair’s hydro-lipid barrier that keeps external irritants out and protects your strands from damage. Castor oil is also known for making your hair softer and shinier.
Essential oils such as tea tree and rosemary are excellent for clearing build-up on the scalp. They have natural antifungal properties that can fight even the worse dandruff and flakes. The oils promote a healthier scalp environment for healthy hair growth, but they must be mixed with a carrier oil before applying to the scalp or skin.
Rose extract can hydrate your roots and hair strands, while also acting as an astringent for your scalp. Used in the form of rose water, it can help clear build-up gently while simultaneously providing hydration to the scalp. Used in a shampoo or conditioner, it can clean the scalp and hair and make it cleaner, lighter, and healthier. Rose extract may also help restore the hair’s natural moisture and seal it in and give your hair a softer, shinier look.
Glycerin helps restore your hair’s natural moisture barrier, also known as the hydro-lipid barrier. Restoring this barrier can help your hair absorb and retain intense moisture, reviving damaged, weak hair. It also protects your hair from further damage, reduces breakage, and makes your hair stronger.
Top 5 products for hair loss you must try
Most ingredients listed above can be used individually with carrier oil. However, it may be hard for you to incorporate them in your hair care routine on a daily basis.
Instead, you can use natural hair products that are made with these ingredients. Here are some of our products recommended for hair loss you must try:
The WOW Skin Science Onion Black Seed Hair Oil is a must-have product if you suffer from hair loss or any other hair condition like dryness or dullness. Massage the oil into your scalp and cover your head with a hot towel, allowing the oil to nourish the roots of your hair. Black seed, jojoba, and sweet almond oils help provide intense nutrition to the hair, alleviating hair loss and promoting hair growth.
- The WOW Skin Science Himalayan Rose Shampoo and Conditioner set gently cleanses the build-up, grime from your scalp, and nourishes it as well as strands deeply. Rose hydrosol acts as a natural astringent while still being gentle on the scalp and roots of the hair. It promotes a clean scalp without drying it. Pro-vitamin B5 in both the shampoo and the conditioner helps treat hair damage from heat and chemical treatments and promotes stronger hair.
- The WOW Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner set is excellent for cleansing your scalp while restoring its natural oils and moisture. The shampoo removes dirt and grime from the scalp, while providing nourishment to your roots. The conditioner provides intense hydration and nourishment to your strands. Niacin helps improve blood circulation in your hair follicles, preventing thinning of hair and abnormal hair loss.
The WOW Skin Science Red Onion Black Seed Shampoo and Conditioner combo is made of plant-based active ingredients that help restore scalp and hair health. The hydrating combo works against thinning of hair, split ends, and breakage. The shampoo acts as a detoxifying agent, removing toxins, dirt, product build-up, and dead skin from the scalp while still keeping it hydrated and nourished. Its sulfate-free formula brings added shine and gloss to the hair and makes it silky smooth.
- The WOW Skin Science Hair Revitalizer Spray is made entirely of natural oils, seed extracts, and vitamins that help moisturize and strengthen your hair from the roots. The plant-based formula rejuvenates lifeless hair and promotes healthier hair with its powerful combination of safflower, biotins, horse chestnut seed extracts, and tea tree essential oil. The combination also makes hair stronger by promoting circulation to the follicles and fortifying hair strands.
Hair loss is one of the most common hair concerns, perhaps next only to dry or damaged hair. You can restore hair loss by using some of the home remedies and products recommended in this article to alleviate hair loss and restore your hair’s vitality.
How to Detox Your Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo Reviews from Customers
How to Clarify Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar