Dry, frizzy hair is one of the most common hair concerns. When your hair cannot absorb moisture or retain it, it becomes dry, frizzy, and appears rough or coarse. Split ends or breakage can also make your hair appear frizzy.
Various factors can cause your hair to become dry or frizzy, but it's not a concern that requires medical attention. You can treat dry, frizzy hair at home with simple home remedies and by using natural hair products that don't contain harsh chemicals.
In this article, we’ll explain what dry, frizzy hair is and what are the factors that cause such a condition. Some simple home remedies and ingredients can help your hair be radiant again.
Finally, you can find a list of top products that can help you achieve your goal, all of which are 100% natural and made with ingredients that are essential to revive dry, frizzy hair.
Table of contents:
- What is dry, frizzy hair
- How your hair becomes dry or frizzy
- Causes of dry, frizzy hair
- How to battle dry, frizzy hair
- Home remedies for frizzy hair
- Have an effective post-wash routine
- Must have products for dry, frizzy hair
- Top products that help battle dry, frizzy hair
What is dry, frizzy hair
Dry, frizzy hair is known for a rough, straw-like texture, and it has no luster. It appears flat, rough, and tangles easily. If it's difficult to manage even with styling products, you may have severely dry hair.
When your hair does not receive or retain enough moisture, it becomes dry. It loses its sheen and can appear frizzy and rough as a result. Dry hair can affect men and women of any age, but as you get older, you're more likely to develop it.
How your hair becomes dry or frizzy
Your hair has three layers. Natural oils in the outer layer of healthy hair help protect the inner layers. It also reflects light, making your hair radiant. The outer layer of your hair breaks down when it is dry, making your hair appear rough and lifeless.
Hair with high porosity is more likely to be dry and frizzy. It may not absorb moisture from water and hair products while shampooing or styling it. Even if it absorbs moisture, it may not be able to retain it long enough to stay healthy.
The highly porous texture of hair causes moisture to evaporate quickly when exposed to heat, sunlight, or chemicals. For this reason, it's crucial not to use hair products with harsh chemicals. You must also reduce heat exposure through sunlight, blow dryers, or styling tools that use heat.
When the moisture in your hair evaporates, its natural moisture barrier that keeps irritants out is broken. This allows external factors like dust, dirt, heat, and chemicals to interact with your hair strand directly.
If not treated on time, your hair could become severely damaged, and it may be harder to revive it.
Causes of dry, frizzy hair
Several factors can be responsible for your hair becoming dry or frizzy. Some of them could be:
- Too much exposure to sunlight or hot weather
- Living in a dry climate
- Chemical hair treatments or products
- Coloring your hair
- Blow drying every day
Excessive use of styling tools that use heat, such as curlers or straighteners
- Washing it with hot water
- Brushing it too frequently
- Underlying medical conditions such as hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, or anorexia
If you suspect your dry hair might be due to an underlying condition, it's important to see a qualified healthcare professional.
How to battle dry, frizzy hair
Unless you have an underlying health condition that's causing dry or frizzy hair, you may benefit from trying the following dry hair solutions.
Home remedies for frizzy hair
Follow these simple tips to revive dry, frizzy hair and give it a soft, shiny texture.
Hot oil massage: The foremost reason for dryness is a lack of nourishment. Massaging warm oil into your hair can help nourish it deeply, increase blood circulation to your hair follicles, and also help you relax. Using nutritious oils such as coconut, jojoba, almond, castor, or olive (or a combination of these) can provide deep nourishment and hydration to your hair.
- Nutritious diet: Consuming food that contains essential vitamins such as A and E can help your hair become healthy from within. You may increase your intake of carrots, fish, and nuts. These can also regulate the natural oil production in your scalp.
- Reduce heat and chemical exposure: Using too many chemical-based products or styling your hair every day with heat can make your hair dry and frizzy faster. You may benefit from switching to 100% natural products.
- Avoid styling every day: You can experiment with natural styles such as braids, updos, chignons, and buns to avoid using styling tools.
- Reduce brushing: Brushing once or twice a day is usually enough. If you brush more than that, your hair will become frizzy and might break. Alternatively, brushing too often can spread the oils from your scalp through your lengths, making it appear greasy, which will lead to frequent washing and, eventually, dryness.
Have an effective post-wash routine
Remedies mentioned above can help you nourish your hair to reduce dryness and frizz. However, it's also important to have an effective hair care routine after you wash your hair.
The following tips can help you seal in moisture and avoid dryness and frizz after each hair wash.
- Don't wash it every day. Washing your hair every day will strip your scalp and strands of their natural oils and moisture barrier. This will dry your hair further and may even damage it.
- Reduce heat - try hairstyles that don't require heat and let your hair maintain its natural texture instead of straightening or curling it.
- Use silks and satin: wear silk or satin scarves and use pillowcases made from these materials to reduce the amount of friction your hair experiences.
- Use a T-shirt instead of towels: wrap your hair in a soft T-shirt rather than rubbing it.
- Use a leave-in treatment: use a high-quality leave-in conditioner so that you don’t have to deal with the friction caused by environmental irritants.
- Clear build-up: build-up on your scalp can make your hair look greasy or weighed down. It may also cause itching and flaking of the scalp. All of this may make you wash your hair more frequently, causing it to dry out. Using a gentle clarifying shampoo can help get rid of build-up and leave your hair and scalp feeling lighter and fresher.
Rinse with cold water: hot water causes hair to dry out further. So, always rinse it with cold water. If you can't go through your entire wash routine with cold water, at least rinse it with one or two cups of cold water at the end.
- Retain natural oils: use a shampoo and conditioner that does not strip your scalp of its natural oils.
Apart from the remedies given above, you may benefit from adding specific ingredients to your hair care routine.
Must have products for dry, frizzy hair
Here's a list of ingredients that your hair care products should contain if you want to bring back your hair's soft, silky texture and shine.
Coconut oil: Coconut oil has universal benefits regardless of your hair type. However, it's especially essential for dry hair. It provides intense hydration and nourishment that dry, frizzy hair requires and helps restore its natural shine. It contains Vitamin E and other nutrients that promote overall scalp and hair health.
Almond oil: Similar to coconut oil, almond oil also contains essential nutrients that provide intense nourishment to dry hair and help restore its vitality. Massaging warm almond oil into your scalp can help it reach your roots and nourish your follicles.
Onion oil: Natural ingredients present in onion oil, such as Vitamin C and Folic Acid, can provide your dry hair with the nourishment it needs. It also has natural antifungal properties that can reduce dandruff and promote overall scalp health, leading to healthier hair.
Vitamins A, E, and B5: Using oils, shampoos, conditioners, and other products that are rich in vitamins A, E, and B5 can provide dry hair with essential nutrients that are stripped off by chemicals or heat. These vitamins also help boost hair growth and overall hair health.
Rose extracts: Rose extracts can provide hydration to dry hair and help smoothen frizz without using styling tools and chemicals. They can also act as a natural astringent for your scalp and make it feel cooler and fresher.
Green tea and tea tree extracts: Green tea is rich in catechins and polyphenols that help fight dryness, frizz, and breakage. Tea tree oil, rich in antioxidants, improves blood circulation, keeps the roots clean, and soothes the scalp. The combination helps nourish your scalp and hair strands to reduce breakage, split ends, and frizz.
Top products that help battle dry, frizzy hair
Here are some of our product recommendations to revive the texture and shine of dry, frizzy hair:
The WOW Skin Science 10-in-1 Hair Oil is perfect for adding to any hair care routine, whether your hair is straight, wavy, or curly. Its intensely nourishing formula can bring even the most damaged hair back to life and alleviate dryness and frizz for good! Thanks to its lightweight formula, you can also use it as a leave-in treatment without worrying about an oily look.
- The WOW Skin Science Himalayan Rose Shampoo and Conditioner set gently cleanses the build-up and grime from your scalp. It also nourishes your scalp and strands deeply. The shampoo helps remove build-up from the scalp while hydrating it. The conditioner helps restore the hair's natural moisture barrier and keeps external pollutants from damaging your strands.
- The WOW Skin Science Red Onion Black Seed Oil Shampoo and Conditioner set is perfect for dry, frizzy, damaged, and weak hair. The conditioner clears scalp build-up gently, and the conditioner helps restore a strong, shiny, and healthy look to the hair strands. The formula is safe to use on color-treated hair that is more prone to dryness and breakage than non-treated hair.
The WOW Skin Science Green Tea and Tea Tree Shampoo is perfect for cleansing your scalp while still hydrating it and taking care of dandruff and flakes! The oils help restore the hair's natural moisture barrier and make it softer and smoother to the touch. It also adds shine to the strands.
- The WOW Skin Science Hair Revitalizer Spray is an essential product if you suffer from dry, frizzy hair, regardless of what caused it. The hair spray is made with 100% vegan ingredients that help hydrate your hair and give it a glossy, voluminous look. It also locks moisture into your hair and stops external irritants from stripping it.
The most common reason for dry, frizzy hair is an unhealthy scalp environment that leads to damaged hair strands and issues like breakage, split ends, and even hair fall. Using deeply nourishing and hydrating products can help alleviate dryness and frizz to give you silky-smooth locks.
Hair Care Needs This Black Friday Sale at Wow Skin Science!
Understanding Common Hair Concerns: The Complete Guide
The Ultimate Guide to Hair Care for All Hair Types