Immunity is a hot topic, especially nowadays thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic and vaccines that we are still in the throes of. That being said, illnesses like colds and flu's have always run rampant, and get people especially sick during the changing seasons like this transition to spring. We are now getting through the colder months, when our bodies are typically more susceptible to these viruses.
Thankfully, there are steps that you can take to protect your body and health naturally with essential oils!
How Does the Immune System Work?
Your immune system is made up of a complex network of different layers of protection against outside invaders, ranging from your skin barrier, to specific cells, fluids, and organs that help keep you healthy. The immune system is able to identify invading substances called antigens that can make us sick and fight them off. Antibodies can sometimes recognize invaders that they’ve encountered in the past and effectively fight them off again in the future, hence why vaccines are key to preventing serious health scares.
However, there are times when our bodies cannot effectively fight off these antigens and we end up getting sick. Not all sickness symptoms mean you're actually sick, like having a fever means that your body is actually doing its job to fight off the invaders and that you’re on your way to recovery.
That being said, no one actually wants to get sick, so it’s always best to ensure that your immune system is in tip top shape so that you can avoid feeling ill and can conquer those germs the first time around! Using products to boost immunity during cold and changing seasons can help protect you from getting sick too.
How Can Essential Oils Benefit Your Immune System?
Depending on which essential oil you’re using and its specific benefits, there are several different ways that essential oils can benefit your immunity.
For example, some essential oils can help stimulate the immune system by increasing blood and lymph circulation so that your body can better fight off invaders. Additionally, some essential oils have naturally antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties to fight pesky invaders that cause sickness.
Finally, some essential oils can help combat feelings of stress, anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc. -- all of which can suppress your immune system's ability to fight sickness.
Which Essential Oils Are Best for Immunity?
There are tons of different essential oils out there that each have their own unique purposes and benefits, so which ones are well-suited to boost your immune system? Here are some of the best essential oils for immunity:
- Lavender Essential Oil: This sweet and floral aroma doesn’t just smell amazing -- it packs a big punch as a natural disinfectant while also having a calming effect that relieves stress and promotes sleep. Stress can negatively impact our immune system and leave us more susceptible to illnesses, so anything to keep stress at bay should be in your arsenal!
- Tea Tree Essential Oil: This earthy and herbaceous aroma has antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties that can benefit your immune system by helping to fight off cold and flu symptoms through its healing properties.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil: This woody and camphorous aroma has antiviral, antibacterial, and decongestant properties that helps keep your respiratory tract totally clear and free of any nastiness.
- Lemon Essential Oil: This zesty and citrusy aroma has antibacterial properties that make it a common addition in household cleaners. As it turns out, your body can also benefit from these properties as well as it provides immune support, improves your focus, and boosts your mood.
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil: This sweet and citrusy aroma has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for immune support. This incredible essential oil has been proven to tackle cough and fatigue while also working to calm your nerves for better overall health.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: This minty fresh aroma has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties that is able to ease congestion, reduce irritation, relieve headaches, and boost your focus so that you can feel 100%!
- Cold Soother Blend: a winter staple to soothe symptoms of sore throats, runny noses, and congested chests for much-needed relief. This carefully curated blend of 7 essential oils naturally rich in antimicrobial, decongesting qualities, like eucalyptus, wintergreen, peppermint, tea tree, basil leaf, cinnamon leaf, & myrrh.
- Immune Lift Blend: It helps you stay healthier by eliminating germs and boosting the body’s natural immunity. Formulated from eight purest essential oils, all known for their antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal qualities, this blend helps keep infections at bay.
How To Use Essential Oils for Immunity
Whether you’re new to the world of essential oils or a wellness wizard, you might still be wondering how exactly you can best use essential oils to benefit your immune system. As it turns out, there are many different ways to do this!
Here are our favorite ways to use essential oils and boost immunity at the same time:
- Essential Oil Diffuser: Perhaps the best way to use essential oils for immunity is to use a diffuser. If you already use essential oils, odds are you already have this device. All you need to do is add a few drops of your favorite immune-boosting essential oil to some purified water in the diffuser, turn it on, and wait for the incredible aroma to fill the room so that you can disinfect the air and breathe it in.
- All-Purpose Cleaner: Another way that you can use essential oils for immunity is to create your own essential oil cleaning spray. So many disinfectants out there use harsh chemicals that can be harmful, so why not use natural essential oils for a clean clean? Just add ⅛ cup of white vinegar, 1 cup of water, and 15 drops of essential oil to an 8 ounce spray bottle for a natural and effective cleaner.
- Essential Oil Bath or Shower: The last way that you can use essential oils for immunity is to add them to a nice and relaxing bath or shower. Just add a few drops to the water or steam so that you can breathe them in and start reaping the benefits!
With the right essential oils, you can boost your immunity and stay healthy during these pressing times. Just make sure to use high-quality, cold-pressed, therapeutic-grade essential oils like those from WOW Skin Science for the best results!
No recommended products
No related articles