Some of the most common hair problems that affect both men and women are hair thinning, dandruff, dry scalp, uncontrollable frizz and hair loss. The market is full of different products to treat these issues. But what if I told you that there is one natural product that can help with all? Yes, Jojoba oil!
Jojoba oil is a popular hair oil, often found in different hair care products and can be the answer to your hair worries – find out how.
Table of contents
What is jojoba oil?
Jojoba oil is extracted from the seeds of a shrub, scientifically known as Simmondsia Chinensis. In fact, the oil makes for up to 50% of the seed’s dry weight. This shrub is mostly found in Mexico and some parts of the U.S.
Jojoba oil was used in ancient times to treat skin issues like sores and wounds. However, over the centuries, it has come up as a useful hair care product as well and can now commonly be found in shampoos, conditioners and hair masks. Jojoba oil contains a mixture of long-chain esters (97–98%) of fatty acids and fatty alcohols.
What are some jojoba oil benefits for hair?
Jojoba oil can be used to treat several skin and hair problems. Adding jojoba oil to your hair care routine can help you in the following ways:
- It can offer deep conditioning: Jojoba oil is a natural emollient or, in layman terms, a moisturizer. Jojoba oil also resembles natural sebum produced by the human body. When you use jojoba oil on your scalp and hair, it forms a protective seal that helps retain moisture. This keeps your hair healthy and nourished for a long time. Moreover, the moisturizing properties of the oil also help fight frizz and dryness. Jojoba oil can soothe psoriasis and eczema too.
- It reduces hair fall: Jojoba oil contains vitamins B, C, and E that can help reduce hair fall and prevent hair thinning. The oil also contains copper and zinc that can help keep your hair thick and bouncy and boost healthy hair growth.
- It promotes scalp health: Jojoba oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties too. Also, one of the benefits of using jojoba oil for hair is that it helps maintain the natural pH level of the scalp. Regular use of the oil gives your hair and scalp just the right level of hydration they need.
- It promotes hair growth: Jojoba oil helps unclog pores and remove dirt from your scalp. This allows new hair follicles to grow and may prevent hair loss.
- It reduces dandruff: Unclogged pores and a clean scalp also reduce dandruff and keep your hair and scalp healthy.
How can you use jojoba oil?
There are so many benefits of jojoba oil and there are many different ways to use jojoba oil. You can try one of the following methods:
- An oil massage: You can opt for the traditional practice of oil massage. Take a few drops of jojoba oil and massage it into your scalp with your fingertips. Massage for 5 to 10 minutes for better blood circulation. You can leave the oil in your hair for 30 minutes and then wash it off with a mild shampoo followed by a conditioner. You can also leave the natural oil on overnight. Jojoba oil massage can fight dandruff, maintain the natural pH balance of your scalp, and unclog pores.
- Add it to your conditioner: You can add a few drops of jojoba oil to your conditioner. You can put this mixture on damp hair and leave it for a few minutes. Wash it off with cold water. This will keep your hair soft and well-moisturized.
- Add it to your hair mask: You can also team up jojoba oil with other natural ingredients like honey, curd, or eggs. You can even mix it with coconut oil, almond oil, etc., for deep conditioning to control frizz. A jojoba oil hair mask can also “keep you from getting more split ends," as per Dr. Marie Hayag, a New York-based dermatologist.
- Use products that contain jojoba oil: Look for hair masks, oil blends, shampoos, etc., that may contain jojoba oil.
Jojoba oil benefits for hair are manifold. So, if you have not yet used it, it may be time to start. It is an excellent conditioner that can help soothe the scalp and promote overall hair health.
Some jojoba oil products that can help
1. Use the Onion Black Seed Hair Oil with Almond, Castor, Jojoba, Olive & Coconut Oil by WOW: The blend of onion black seed oil, jojoba oil castor oil, coconut oil, and olive oil gives your hair the nourishment it deserves. Made from 100% pure cold-pressed oils, the product is non-sticky and fast-absorbing. Using jojoba oil regularly can help repair hair damage and keep your scalp healthy.
2. Use jojoba oil along with a pure essential oil: Jojoba oil can also be used as a carrier oil for essential oils. Since essential oils are highly concentrated, they need to be diluted for topical applications. Jojoba oil has a very mild smell, it gets easily absorbed by the skin and can be used as a carrier oil for any essential oil.
Understanding Common Hair Concerns: The Complete Guide
The Ultimate Guide to Hair Care for All Hair Types
How Often Should I Use Clarifying Shampoo on 4C Hair?