Split ends are so common; it's like almost all of us have had them at least once in our lives, regardless of our hair type or texture.
They start slow, and before you know it, you have a mane of dryness and frayed ends.
Fortunately, they are also easy to get rid of. But before we get to that, let's understand what split ends really are and what causes them.
Table of Contents:
- Understanding Split Ends: Causes and Symptoms
- How Bad Are Split Ends for Your Hair? The Truth Revealed
- Split End Solutions: Tips on How to Get Rid of Them
- Prevention is Key: How to Avoid Split Ends and Keep Your Hair Healthy
- Summing Up: Final Thoughts on Split Ends and Hair Care Tips
Understanding Split Ends: Causes and Symptoms?
As the name suggests, split ends are the frayed, dry tips of hair strands in which the ends of the hair split into two or more parts.
It happens due to reasons like excessive heat styling, chemical hair products & treatments, harsh weather conditions, UV exposure, friction, internal factors such as poor diet, dehydration, etc., as well as general lack of overall hair care.
Although almost all of us experience split ends from time to time, studies show that some people are more prone to getting them.
A study showed that afro-textured hair is especially prone to damage because of the location of oval-shaped hair shafts in people. Plus, they have slower hair growth and less hair density and hence have more fragile hair.
How Bad Are Split Ends for Your Hair? The Truth Revealed
Yes, even though most of us have had split ends at some point, they are inherently bad. Because once your hair starts fraying at the end, it will only get worse if you do not take any action to stop it.
It will begin at the edges and work its way up and affect the entire hair shaft with time. Plus, not all ends will start splitting at the same time.
However, the split ends will start affecting the healthy ones too. You know what comes next- breakage, shedding, loss of natural shine of hair, and an overall unhealthy look of your hair.
Split End Solutions: Tips on How to Get Rid of Them
Trimming or chopping them is the only permanent fix for your split ends. Of course, you will also need to ensure that you take good care of your hair to prevent them from happening in the future.
Any other fix can only be temporary as it is only a matter of time till the split ends make a comeback.
Every time you notice split ends making a comeback, simply do one thing. Trim half an inch to 1 inch of your hair, and that should resolve the problem.
Prevention is Key: How to Avoid Split Ends and Keep Your Hair Healthy
Prevention is always better. Fortunately, it's also simple when it comes to preventing split ends.
- Trim your hair every 4-6 weeks.
- Do not skip your conditioner after shampoo. A good conditioner protects your hair shaft against damage and prevents breakage.
- Avoid wearing hairstyles like ponytails as they lead to frayed ends.
- Avoid heat-styling tools as they damage hair. However, if you need to use those tools, always ensure to use a good heat protectant.
- Do not brush wet hair. If you need to, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair. And be gentle while doing so.
- Hydrate. Dehydration is one of the top internal factors that lead to split ends.
- Use a satin pillowcase. It is soft on your hair and prevents friction and damage.
- Avoid using hair products that contain alcohol and other drying ingredients.
- Use a cotton t-shirt or a microfiber towel to dry your hair.
- Use deep conditioners. They improve the moisture-protein balance of hair and provide intense moisturization, which prevents split ends.
Summing Up: Final Thoughts on Split Ends and Hair Care Tips
Now that we have shed more light on split ends, you must have realized that preventing split ends is about maintaining good hair hygiene.
Below, I have mentioned 4 WOW products that work exceptionally well on your journey to preventing split ends.
WOW Moroccan Argan Hair Oil is a cold-pressed oil blend to nourish damaged hair and tackle multiple hair issues like dry, brittle strands and split ends. It has a fast-absorbing formula and leaves your hair feeling soft, smooth, and stronger post-wash.
Take 2-4 pumps of oil and gently massage onto your scalp and shaft for 5 minutes. Let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour or overnight and shampoo, condition as per usual.
WOW Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil Hair Conditioner has intense nourishing properties. It is the perfect fix to prevent split ends and other hair damage.
It adds shine to your hair and reduces the chances of hair breakage. Also, it doesn't contain any harmful chemicals so. It will not dry out your hair.
Rinse off the shampoo from your hair. Take 2-3 pumps of this WOW conditioner. Apply it all over the length of your hair. Let it work its magic for 2-3 minutes and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
WOW Hair Revitalizer rejuvenates and strengthens your hair from the roots. It helps in restoring the natural shine and vitality of your hair.
It contains shea butter & soy protein. They allow the hair follicles to absorb protein to smoothen out entangled hair strands.
You can leave it on all day. Just spritz it a few times on your scalp and massage well.
WOW Red Onion Black Seed Oil Hair Mask is just what you need to revive your dull, lifeless hair. Red onion extract and black seed oil actively repair and protect the damaged hair and promote blood circulation to the roots.
Apply it on damp hair from mid-length to the ends. Use your fingers to apply it to the shafts. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water. Use this hair mask once a week to transform your hair.
Choose from a wide variety of WOW products and bid goodbye to all your hair or skin-related woes. Go ahead and explore the WOW website now.
No recommended products
What does onion black seed oil do for hair?