Everyone loves a good scalp massage. They feel nice, are so easy to do, and in 10 minutes your entire scalp feels completely refreshed. But their feel-good nature isn’t the only reason why you should make sure you get them regularly.
Either through a bit of scientific evidence or through time-old tradition, scalp massages have been shown to have a multitude of health and wellness-related benefits, including the fact that a scalp massage helps your hair grow faster, thicker, and more resilient. That’s right – scalp massages are the ideal combo of pleasant and useful. Let’s learn everything about them.
Table of Contents:
- What is a Scalp Massage?
- The Benefits of Scalp Massage
- Hair Growth Tips and Tricks
What is a Scalp Massage?
A head massage practiced for relaxation and circulation is called a scalp massage. There is a lot of tension around the head and the back of it, yet these areas are left out during normal massages.
A scalp massage can be a great stress reliever too. It’s usually done with oil, though it’s not a mandatory element of the scalp massage. In the past, scalp massage was directed more towards helping the hair, usually as a way to massage scalp treatments for healthy hair growth, but nowadays they are mostly seen as stress and tension relievers.
Scalp massage originated in India many centuries ago, and it's considered the secret to the long, luscious, and thick hair that Indian women have because it improves circulation right at the scalp. They apply warm oil to different sections of the head and massage it gently in circular motions, then leave it in for half an hour. After this time, they continue their washing routine as usual.
The Benefits of Scalp Massage
Like many other natural methods for hair growth, scalp massages have but a few scientific studies to back them up, but the data resulted from the studies has indeed turned out to be conclusive – as proved in 2016 with a small-scale study on hair growth for men, and in 2019 through a larger-scale study on scalp massages combatting hair loss.
Even still, the lack of overwhelming scientific evidence is compensated through their being a tradition in a whole country. These are the benefits that the women in India promote:
- Thicker hair: scalp massage helps with thickness because it can stretch the cells of the hair follicles, stimulating them to strengthen the root and growing thicker strands.
- Hair growth: people believe that because it improves the circulation on the scalp, it dilates blood vessels underneath the skin, increases blood flow and promotes hair growth.
- Muscle tension relief: a scalp massage helps in lowering blood pressure and heart rate, as well as reduce stress hormones level, therefore bringing in a lot of relaxation. If you’ve ever gotten a scalp massage while having your hair washed at the salon, you might notice that you feel a little light-headed, in a positive way, afterward.
- Natural headache treatment: since it’s able to lower stress levels and relieve muscle tension, it’s only logical that a head massage can relieve headaches and migraines as well. Regular scalp massages may reduce the overall frequency of headaches.
- It’s easy to get: you can massage your scalp on your own or have a member of your family, or your partner, do it for you. It’s not time-consuming either, since it can be integrated right into the pre-hair-washing routine. Simply massage your scalp for 5 minutes before (or even during) washing your hair.
Hair Growth Tips and Tricks
To boost the effects of a good scalp massage, here are some other things that you can do:
Do not overwash
Only wash your hair about twice a week, because doing so more often than that can lead to dryness and breakages, as it weakens the hair roots and the hair strands.
Get checked for vitamin deficiency
Sometimes hair loss and prevention of fast hair growth are the results of some kind of nutritional deficiency. Some vitamins and minerals you should look at when it comes to hair growth are zinc, iron, vitamin D, vitamin C, biotin.
Avoid using heat-based tools
Overusing heat-based styling tools such as straighteners, curling irons, blow-dryers can easily lead hair loss due to hair breakages. If it’s possible, let your hair stay in its natural state, and let it air dry. In case blow-drying is completely necessary, use the lowest settings.
Stay away from dyeing
During your hair regrowth journey, it’s best not to dye your hair, especially not at home, because box dye contains very harsh chemicals that attack your hair, strip it of its natural oil and cause split ends.
Get regular trims
Since we mentioned split ends, it’s worth noting that can they destroy your hair and give it a dull appearance, not to mention the damage and frizz. If you truly want your hair to grow rapidly and healthily, you have to go to trim once every three months, as hard as it is to give up on its hard-grown length.
Invest in a specialized brush
Using the right tools can boost the efficiency of a scalp massage tenfold. A specialized scalp massager brush helps even more than a head massage done by hand, as its soft silicone bristles not only have better reach, but they also bring an exfoliating effect into the mix. Use it mid-shower, right after applying shampoo, to get the best results.
Keep your natural oils in check
Our scalp’s natural oils are the key to consistent hair growth. From argan oil to jojoba and grapeseed, nature’s organic oils go hand in hand with the oil produced by your scalp to give you a luscious mane, full of vitality, and promote hair growth. To supplement them and aid your scalp in the hair growth process, make sure to invest in a high-quality organic hair oil mix, and apply it regularly when doing your skincare and haircare routine.
Treat Your Scalp to a Good Massage
Now that you’ve learned the many benefits that scalp massages can have on your scalp’s health, what are you waiting for? Take a 10-minute break from your busy schedule and give your scalp and hair the pampering they deserve.
Alternatively, ask someone else to do it for a full-on relaxation experience or, if you’re feeling extra self-caring, book a salon appointment for a scalp massage. Your hair, scalp, and your newly-relaxed aura, will be more grateful than ever.
Visit the WOW Skin Science website, and experience the benefits of scalp massages today.
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It