If you’re sick of tossing and turning at night, you’re not alone. In fact, sleeplessness is extremely common, and can affect physical and mental health. So, how can you address this issue?
Unfortunately, many people immediately turn to pharmaceutical sleep-aids that have side effects and risks. Instead, a more natural route is probably ideal -- and that’s where essential oils come into play.
Essential oils can be used to promote sleep, but which ones are the best and how can you use them? Read on to learn how to use essential oils to sleep soundly through the night!
Why Can’t I Sleep?
As you know, sleeplessness is an extremely common problem with a variety of different causes. Since it’s hard to treat something without understanding the root cause, it’s a good idea to think about what could be causing your sleeplessness before you try addressing it.
Here are some common causes of sleeplessness:
- Sleep disorders
What Essential Oils Can Help Me Sleep?
One easy and natural thing that you can do to help you sleep is to use essential oils.
Essential oils are extracted from plants to obtain their benefits and overall essence. Different essential oils have different properties and benefits.
For example, some promote sleep while others promote things like concentration and focus. This is why you need to educate yourself on essential oils so that you use the right ones in specific situations!
If you’re looking for a good night’s sleep, here are some of the best essential oils to fight off insomnia when counting sheep just won't do:
- Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender essential oil is known to be extremely soothing and calming, and is actually one of the most popular essential oils. Due to its calming effects, it can help decrease feelings of tension that can leave you tossing and turning all night long. With your mind at ease, you can quickly and easily drift off to sleep.
- Bergamot Essential Oil: Bergamot essential oil has a citrus scent that’s surprisingly not stimulating like some of the other citrus essential oils. Instead, it has a calming effect as it’s able to soothe restlessness and relax you -- essentially prepping your body to go to sleep.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: Ylang ylang essential oil has a strong floral scent that also has a calming effect. It can act as a sedative by alleviating stress and tension that can make it difficult for you to fall asleep.
- Cedarwood Essential Oil: Cedarwood essential oil has an earthy and woody fragrance that can help you sleep due to a component called cedrol. Cedrol has been found to have a sedative effect. This aroma will help you feel safe and secure so that you can start catching z’s in no time.
- Chamomile Essential Oil: Chamomile essential oil has similar effects to chamomile tea that’s commonly consumed before bed to promote sleep and overall relaxation. This essential oil effectively reduces anxiety, depression, and stress. It can also improve the overall quality of your sleep by helping you stay asleep and even reduce nightmares that can easily disrupt your sleeping pattern.
How To Use Essential Oils for Sleep
There are several different ways that you can use essential oils for sleep, all of which depend on your personal preferences.
Here are some of the best ways to use essential oils for sleep:
- Add a few drops of your essential oil to water in an oil diffuser. Turn it on, and let the relaxing around and peaceful humming of the diffuser put you to sleep.
- Dilute your essential oils with a carrier oil, like the WOW Skin Science Castor Oil and apply it directly to the skin for a strong effect. Some of the best areas to apply essential oil for sleep include the soles of your feet, wrists, and palms.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your favorite nighttime facial or body moisturizer to enhance its effects and help you get to sleep.
- Take a nice, warm, and relaxing bath with essential oils before going to bed to put you in a calm and relaxed mindset before bedtime.
- Apply a few drops of essential oil to your pillowcase before going to bed for a long-lasting effect that will help you sleep like a baby.
How To Find the Best Essential Oils
Many people think that all essential oils are created equal, but that’s definitely not the case. If you really want to get a good night’s sleep thanks to essential oils, then you need quality products from a reputable source.
For example, essential oils should not contain any synthetic components and should be 100% natural. Be sure to look for the phrase “100% pure therapeutic grade” on any product that you purchase. Also be sure to check out customer reviews for any essential oil that you’re interested in to ensure that other customers are satisfied by the quality and effectiveness.
This is why buying online is perhaps the best way to find quality essential oils. That way, you can conduct sufficient research instead of just making a random impulse purchase at a store. WOW Skin Science is one of the best places to buy high-quality essential oils online. We offer a wide variety of oils as well as oil blends to target specific issues ranging from soreness, to skin and hair health, to concentration. Plus, we only use all-natural and vegan ingredients within all of our products while never testing on animals.
As you can see, essential oils are a great way to help you go to sleep, stay asleep, and feel well-rested and ready to tackle the day head-on when you wake up in the morning.
Just be sure to purchase quality and effective essential oil products from reputable vegan-friendly companies like WOW Skin Science.
Does Argan Oil Make Dandruff Worse?
How Many Times Should I Apply Castor Oil to My Scalp?