Although it has been commonly used in Morocco for generations, argan oil is a relatively new discovery in western skin and hair care. However, over the last 15 years, argan oil has found a special place in the dermo-cosmetic field. This nutrient-rich oil has a lot to offer, and its use is well-known in hair care. Let’s find out what argan oil does for your hair and why it is gaining such widespread popularity worldwide.
Table of contents
- What is argan oil?
- What does argan oil do for your hair, and what are its benefits?
- How to choose the right argan oil product for your hair?
- How to use argan oil on your hair?
- Some argan oil product recommendations
What is argan oil?
Argan oil is made from the kernels of the argan tree. This tree is native to Morocco, and the oil derived from it is commonly used in the country as a skin and hair care product. Argan oil has antibacterial, fungicidal, and choleretic properties and is therefore used in traditional medicine too. The oil contains antioxidants, fatty acids, squalene, and Vitamin E, which deeply nourish your hair and offer it optimal hydration. In addition to this, argan oil is relatively light, which is why it makes for a perfect companion for any hair texture.
What does argan oil do for your hair, and what are its benefits?
Argan oil has many advantages for the hair thanks to its rich reserve of nutrients and antioxidants. Here are some ways in which this oil can benefit your hair:
- It can help detangle your hair: Dry and damaged hair is more prone to getting tangled. The outermost layer of your hair is known as the cuticle. When the cuticle is damaged, it opens up and gets tangled with other hair strands. Argan oil can help moisturize the hair and reduce damage. When the cuticle is smooth and hydrated, the hair does not tangle or form knots. This makes your hair look smoother and straighter, and it is more manageable.
- It can reduce dandruff: Argan oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help reduce inflammation. The oil also promotes scalp health and helps reduce dandruff.
- It can make your hair shine: Argan oil contains fatty acids and Vitamin E that can make your hair shine. Regular use of this oil can deep condition your hair, bring back its original shine, and help reverse the damage caused by heat and styling.
- It protects your hair: Argan oil fights free radicals and protects your hair from sun damage. It can also help reduce the damage caused by chemicals, hair treatments, and pollution. The anti-inflammatory oil can help with scalp conditions like psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis too. A study also showed that argan oil could help reduce the damage caused by hair dyes.
- It gets rid of frizz: Argan oil is a superb moisturizer for the hair. Argan oil predominately contains monounsaturated fat. Studies show that monosaturated oils diffuse into the hair much better than other types of oil. Hence, it easily penetrates the hair and keep it moisturized. Using the oil regularly can make your hair stronger and silkier. It also helps prevent split ends.
How to choose the right argan oil product for your hair?
With so many products available in the market, it can sometimes be hard to pick an authentic product, especially when it comes to dermo-cosmetic products. You can look for the following things to ensure you purchase a 100% pure argan oil product:
- Pay attention to the scent: Original argan oil has a pleasant nutty scent. If the product’s scent is too overpowering or completely missing, the oil may not be pure.
- Check the color and texture: Argan oil has a golden yellow hue. It is also slightly foggy. It is not watery, but has a light consistency that easily absorbs into the skin. If the oil is too dark or clear, it could be overly refined or fake.
- Buy from a known brand: Argan oil is only found in Morocco, making it difficult and expensive to manufacture and produce argan oil products. Unbranded argan oil available in street markets may not be 100% pure. Hence, always buy products from known brands and licensed companies to be sure they’re authentic.
- Pay attention to the type of product: If you are using argan oil, look for an oil that is 100% pure and not mixed with other oils. If you are using a shampoo or conditioner infused with argan oil, make sure that the argan oil is the dominant ingredient in the product.
How to use argan oil on your hair?
Argan oil can be used on your hair in several ways. You can take a few drops of argan oil and use it to massage your hair and scalp. Leave it on for at least an hour or overnight and wash it the next morning. You can also add a few drops of the oil to your shampoo or conditioner. Similarly, argan oil can also be mixed with your leave-in conditioner. If this seems like too much of a hassle, you can simply pick a product infused with argan oil.
Some argan oil product recommendations
The Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Pack powered by pure Moroccan argan oil can help reduce breakage, split ends, and dryness. The shampoo and conditioner pack is plant-based, vegan and free of sulfates and other harsh chemicals. The shampoo and conditioner are also rich in omega-6 fatty acids and contain vitamins A and E that improve your hair’s hydro-lipid layer and make it shinier. Ideal for dry hair, this combo can help lifeless hair regain luster and helps reduce hair loss caused by breakage.
No recommended products
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It
Type 3C Hair: What It Is and How To Care for It