Vitamin C is one of the most powerful vitamins out there! Most people think that vitamin C can only be effective by consuming it through food sources or supplements. However, vitamin C can actually work wonders for reaching your skin goals! vitamin C serums are jam-packed with this amazing ingredient, and other beneficial actives to address a whole host of skin concerns that can totally transform your skin.
How Does Vitamin C Serum Work?
You’re probably familiar with vitamin C in fruits like oranges, or even immune supplements, but how does it work in your skincare? The number one thing you need to know about vitamin C is that it’s a powerful antioxidant that fights free radical damage from UV light, and helps boost your skin barrier.
Vitamin C is also very acidic and actually triggers the skin to produce more collagen and elastin. Finally, vitamin C has a unique property that prevents the production of melanin in the skin. But what does all this actually mean in terms of how vitamin C serum can benefit your skin?
What Does Vitamin C Serum Do For the Skin? Vitamin C Serum Benefits
- Hydration: These serums contain magnesium ascorbyl phosphate which is extremely hydrating.
- Brightening: Does vitamin C serum really work for brightening skin? Absolutely! Since vitamin C impedes melanin production, it not only prevents dark spots from forming but can also help fade areas of hyperpigmentation like age spots and acne scars. Vitamin C serum brightens dull skin to give your face a healthy glow.
- Soothing: Vitamin C is anti-inflammatory and can reduce redness and irritations from various skin conditions.
- Anti-Aging: Vitamin C promotes collagen production. And if you produce more collagen and elastin, your skin will look better than ever! It works to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, sagging skin, undereye bags, and circles.
- Antioxidant: Free radicals from UV light can lead to long-term skin issues like fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, and sagging skin. The antioxidant power of vitamin C serums helps fight this free radical damage and protect your sensitive skin.
- Healing: Finally, vitamin C acts as a mild exfoliant, to accelerate the healing process of sunburn and other wounds so that you are left with new healthy skin that’s less likely to experience infections and scarring.
Which Vitamin C Serum is The Best?
Vitamin C serums contain other actives besides vitamin C to treat your skin. Some serums contain beneficial ingredients like hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid, alpha-hydroxy acids, ferulic acid, and squalane. Be careful to avoid unnatural ingredients like sulfates, parabens, and harsh chemicals.
If you're craving the best, we recommend you to try Vitamin C Serum from WoW Skin Science. The WoW never includes any harmful ingredients in our products, which are all-natural and never tested on animals.
How To Use Vitamin C Serum
Once you’ve found the perfect vitamin C serum, it’s time to actually use it! Before you apply any new product for the first time, you should always perform a patch test. You never know how your skin is going to react when introducing something new, so it’s always better to apply a small amount to an area like your wrist or inner elbow rather than your entire face in case you do have a negative reaction.
Once you’re sure that your skin won’t react poorly to this new product, you can get your skin goals started! Key tip-- don’t forget to use SPF as it can make your skin sensitive to the sun. If you want to avoid that possibility, use a vitamin C serum at night instead.
How often should you use vitamin C serum? Here are the steps you need to follow to properly incorporate vitamin C serum into your regular skincare routine:
- Remove Makeup + Impurities. Please note that this is not the same thing as cleansing -- we will get to that next. While you may be tempted to use a makeup wipe, they require rubbing, tugging, and pulling around the eyes that can cause more wrinkles over time. Furthermore, makeup wipes will leave a film of product residue on your skin rather than completely wipe it clean. Opt for oil to break down your stubborn makeup, like WOW Skin Science Castor Oil.
- Double Cleanse. It’s time to exfoliate and remove that oil cleanser to reveal freshly cleansed skin. We personally love the Ubtan Foaming Face Wash, formulated with a holistic blend of natural exfoliators and brightening actives, including turmeric, saffron, and almond oil. Plus, a handy soft-silicone brush to thoroughly exfoliate clogged pores.
- Tone. Use WOW Skin Science 10-In-1 Apple Cider Vinegar Mist Tonic to remove any leftover impurities, while balancing your skin’s pH! Leaving your skin ready to absorb the next product...
- Finally, it’s time to apply your Vitamin C serum. Dispense the product onto your fingertips, and apply it to the face and neck. Make sure to get a complete layer that doesn’t leave any gaps but also isn’t too thick -- we promise that this stuff is powerful enough to not need a thick coating. Before moving onto the next step in your skincare routine, you’ll need to wait for about five minutes so that the serum can properly absorb into your skin. This is a great time to enjoy your morning cup of coffee or snack on some fruit to get you energized for the day!
- Seal in your skincare. Once your serum has absorbed into the skin, you need to follow up with your regular moisturizer. If you’re applying vitamin C serum during the day, make sure to use SPF to protect the sensitivity of your skin (since vitamin C is a mild exfoliant).
We hope we’ve convinced you of the amazing brightening effects of Vitamin C. A serum can really work wonders for your skin no matter what age, or skin type! It’s definitely a great product to have in your skincare arsenal. Just make sure that the serum you’re using is natural and free of harsh ingredients that might counteract the benefits of vitamin C. Good luck!
The Essential Guide for Dyeing Hair with Henna Hair Color
Advantages of Coconut Oil & How to Use It to Solve Your Hair Problems
Peppermint Essential Oil: Benefits & Side Effects