Featured Articles ➔
What Essential Oils Make a Christmas Scent?
Christmastime is a magical time of year filled with amazing sights, tastes, and yes, smells. It’s never too early to get a head start on what makes you happy! Even if you don’t have a real Christmas tree or partake in any Christmas baking, there’s still a way for you to achieve a festive aroma in your home through the use of essential oils!
Read on to learn about how you can use essential oils to make an incredible Christmas scent in your home!
Best Essential Oils for Christmas
There are so many different essential oils out there, how do you know which ones are fit for Christmas time? Thankfully, we are essential oil experts and have done the work to figure out which ones you need in your home for this special time of year.
Here are some of the best essential oils for Christmas:
- Frankincense: This essential oil has historic roots with the Christmas holiday and offers an earthy, spicy, and somewhat sweet aroma that is very festive!
- Myrrh: Myrrh also has deep roots when it comes to the history of Christmas and smells quite similar to frankincense -- these two oils are the perfect Christmas combination.
- Cinnamon: If you have a big sweet tooth and look forward to indulging on Christmas treats, cinnamon essential oil brings the sweet and warm notes (though don’t forget that essential oils aren’t for ingesting, as delicious as they may smell!).
- Nutmeg: Even if you’re not the baker of the family, you can make your home smell like fresh-baked goods by using this sweet yet spicy nutmeg essential oil.
- Pine: Pine is probably one of the first scents that come to mind when you think of Christmas, thanks to the classic Christmas tree. This aroma will instantly transport you to a northern Christmas tree farm, and is a great way to spruce up an artificial tree!
- Sweet Orange: Sweet orange essential oil might not be what initially comes to your mind when you think of Christmas. However, this scent blends very well with other essential oils to bring some freshness to balance warm, spicy scents.
- Peppermint: Peppermint essential oil is similar to another Christmas classic -- the candy cane! This minty and refreshing aroma is extremely energizing and can help you stay up to wrap gifts on Christmas Eve.
How To Use Essential Oils for Christmas
Christmastime is a great time of year to embrace your creative and crafty side. As it turns out, you can actually do this with essential oils!
Although you could definitely go with the classic essential oil diffuser approach to make your home smell like Christmas, there are fun ways to make the most of your wellness routine:
- Diffusing Christmas Ornaments: All you need are some wooden ornaments and a few drops of your favorite festive essential oil. Add the oil to the wood and place it on your tree to make it smell like the real deal!
- Festive Scented Pinecones: If you want some amazing scented pieces to boost your annual holiday decor, try scented pinecones! You can either use real pine cones from the yard or fake ones. Add about 15-20 drops of your favorite Christmas essential oil to your pinecones and toss them around to distribute the oil. Cover the bowl of pinecones tightly and shake them every so often to keep distributing the scent. After a couple of weeks of sitting, the pinecones can now be left out for an amazingly beautiful holiday scent.
- Christmas Room Sprays: If you’re not a fan of the diffusing approach, you could instead go with a room spray. You can make these yourself with a small spray bottle of water, essential oils, and witch hazel. Add in 15 drops of oil into the bottle then fill halfway with witch hazel. Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water then shake to combine the different elements. Spritz around the house for a strong and inviting Christmas scent. These also make great gifts!
How To Blend Essential Oils for Christmas
Did you know that you don’t have to just use one festive essential oil at a time? You can actually blend more than one for a uniquely dimensional scent that everyone in your home will love. That being said, blending essential oils can be difficult if you don’t know what to do.
Here are some of the best Christmassy essential oil blend recipes:
- 3 drops of frankincense, 3 drops of myrrh, 3 drops of sweet orange
- 3 drops of sweet orange, 2 drops of cinnamon, 1 drop of clove
- 4 drops of peppermint, 3 drops of bergamot
- 2 drops of frankincense, 2 drops of sweet orange, 2 drops of peppermint
- 3 drops of sweet orange, 3 drops of nutmeg, 3 drops of cinnamon
Other Essential Oils You Need in Your Arsenal
Sure, holiday-themed essential oils are great but what about the rest of the year? After using essential oils for the holidays, you’ll be hooked and will want to use them year-round.
Here are some of the best essential oils that you’ll need in your arsenal for the New Year and beyond:
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Ylang ylang essential oil
- Patchouli essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Tea tree essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Rose otto essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
As you can see, you don’t need to purchase a real pine tree or bake 100 cookies to achieve a classic Christmas smell in your home -- all you need are essential oils! These versatile and beneficial products are the perfect way to keep your home smelling amazing while boosting everyone’s holiday spirits at the same time.