Hair issues are universal. Whether it's hair loss, dandruff, premature greying, or lifeless hair, we're all bound to encounter them at some point. The good news is that there are steps you can take to prevent all of this. New hair care remedies keep coming out, and something that has been dominating the discussions in the haircare community lately is onion juice/oil. This potent ingredient has emerged as 'the' solution for many hair woes. In fact, the high amount of sulfur in onion oil is known to stimulate new hair growth.
While onion juice is an excellent remedy for many hair problems, it might be too potent for some people, especially those dealing with scalp sensitivity. This brings us to the question – are there any other alternatives that can provide similar benefits? This is what we'll be covering in the following sections. Stay tuned to find out.
Table of contents:
- What is better for hair growth: Onion or aloe vera?
- Who should not use onion juice hair?
- What can I mix with onion juice to regrow hair?
- What is better for hair: Tea tree or onion?
- What plant can cure hair loss?
What is better for hair growth: Onion or aloe vera?
Onion and aloe vera are both wonderful ingredients for treating your hair naturally. To understand which one is best for hair growth, let's look at the benefits of these powerhouse ingredients.
Onion, whether applied in the form of juice, oil, conditioner, or hair mask, can be very beneficial for your hair. It mainly comprises flavonoids and sulfur compounds. The high sulfur concentration helps improve blood circulation to the scalp, which aids in the growth of new hair follicles. On the other hand, flavonoids come with anti-bacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. This helps prevent any scalp infections that can lead to hair loss.
When applied to hair consistently, onion juice/oil can help encourage hair growth, besides providing other benefits like –
- Prevent thinning of hair
- Treating dandruff
- Alopecia treatment
- Curing inflamed, dry, or itchy scalp
- Treating dry or brittle hair
- Preventing greying hair prematurely
Treating scalp infection
Aloe vera is another ingredient that is widely known to promote hair regrowth. It has been used for centuries to grow a long and strong mane and is one of the best home remedies for all hair woes. The plant, a part of the Liliaceae family, is usually grown in the tropical and subtropical parts of the world. It is rich in minerals, vitamins (A, C, E, and B12), and other ingredients like choline that have been famously linked to hair growth. Some of the nutrients in aloe vera are known to have a marked effect on the nutritional deficiencies that lead to hair loss. The ingredient improves blood circulation and delivers nutrition and oxygen to hair follicles, which helps with hair growth.
It's abundantly clear that both onion and aloe vera can be very effective in treating hair loss and keeping your hair shiny and healthy. You can try either of these ingredients to promote hair growth or mix the two together to gain maximum benefits.
Who should not use onion juice hair?
Generally, onion juice is not known to cause bad reactions in people, but if you are allergic to onions, it's best to avoid using it topically. It should also be avoided if you suffer from eczema and psoriasis.
Onion juice is safe to use for most other people. It is loaded with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants, but it is also rich in sulfur (which can irritate the scalp sometimes). When onion juice is applied to the hair, it works as an irritant to increase the blood supply to that region temporarily. But like other irritants, it can cause itching, rashes, and burning when applied in raw form. And any skin irritations and rashes would harm hair, causing it to fall rather than grow. This is why applying onion juice within the recommended limits is important. Don't leave it on for more than 15-30 minutes; wash it thoroughly after applying. Its use should also be limited to once or twice a week.
Those who feel intimidated by using raw onion juice on their hair can opt for –
- Onion Black Seed Hair Oil With Almond, Castor, Jojoba, Olive & Coconut Oils
- Red Onion Black Seed Oil Shampoo And Conditioner
- Red Onion Black Seed Oil Hair Mask
What can I mix with onion juice to regrow hair?
If you want to use onion juice to grow your hair, it should never be applied as is since it is quite caustic. You can either dilute it with water or use any of the following mixes –
- Onion juice and honey: Onion juice can sometimes strip your hair of any natural oils. To ensure that your hair retains some moisture, you can apply a mixture of onion juice and honey. This will act as a natural conditioner for your hair, strengthening the hair follicles and preventing hair damage. This mask can be easily made by mixing one tablespoon of honey with 1/2 cup of onion juice.
- Onion juice and ginger: Combining onion juice and ginger can significantly improve blood circulation to your scalp. This mask also works as an excellent anti-inflammatory mask. After applying it to your scalp, make sure to massage well.
Onion juice and coconut oil: When it comes to healing the scalp from deep within, there is nothing better than coconut oil. Combine it with onion juice, and its benefits are doubled. The mask can be made by mixing onion juice and coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio.
What is better for hair: Tea tree or onion?
We've already explored the various benefits of using onion for hair. Besides preventing hair fall and premature greying, it nourishes and moisturizes dry hair and soothes dry and itchy scalps. It's a complete solution to all your hair problems.
Tea tree is also an excellent skin and hair nourisher commonly added as an MVP element in shampoos, hair serums, masks, etc. It is enriched with antifungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Whether you're suffering from a dry and flaky scalp or dandruff, this soothing ingredient can relieve you. It is also known to control thinning of hair and hair fall.
Both these ingredients are beneficial for hair in their ways. But when it comes to hair growth, there is more scientific evidence to suggest the efficacy of onion oil. If you want to try out tea tree for hair, you can use the Wow Skin Science Tea Tree Essential Oil. If you're hesitant about trying its concentrated formulation, start with a tea tree-based hair product like Wow Skin Science Green Tea and Tea Tree Shampoo.
What plant can cure hair loss?
So now, let's look at a few more onion alternatives. These are some other plants that can help you achieve your hair growth goals –
- Ginseng: This herb helps with both hair retention and growth. According to a study, Ginseng is known to have a positive effect on hair follicle recovery.
- Rosemary: This anti-bacterial, antioxidant, and vitamin-rich ingredient is one of the best home remedies to improve scalp health and encourage hair growth. It is known to slow down hair loss and give you the long, thick hair of your dreams.
- Peppermint: This is another plant that can heal your scalp while stimulating hair follicles. When applied directly to the scalp, it is known to heal microbial, chemical, and environmental damage.
Ginko Biloba: This herb is known to improve blood circulation and stimulate blood flow, encouraging new hair growth at the root level.
Besides these, many other plants, like lavender, burdock, and horsetail, can also help with hair loss.
Whatever approach you choose in your hair growth journey, it's important to make sure that you take care of overall hair health. And that means using products with natural plant-based ingredients and without any harsh chemicals. Whether using onion or any other plant for hair, make sure to give your tresses the love they deserve.
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It