A dry scalp can not only lead to skin and hair problems like dandruff and hair loss, but also cause excessive itching and soreness that can leave you in pain. A dry scalp can be caused due to a number of factors, right from genetics to a change of weather. But no matter the reason, you can treat this scalp condition with the right oil massage!
Read on to know more about the causes of a dry scalp and how to pick a suitable oil for your scalp.
Table of Contents
- What are the causes of a dry scalp?
- What is the best oil for dry scalp?
- What products can you use to treat a dry scalp?
What are the causes of a dry scalp?
You may have a dry scalp for the following reasons:
- Weather change: Cold temperatures can lead to dryness. When the humidity in the air is low, your scalp can get dry and flaky. Using hot water to wash your hair can also lead to dryness.
Harsh hair care products: Hair care products laden with harsh chemicals can cause dryness. Some products can interfere with the hydration levels of your scalp and cause it to dry out by stripping its natural oils.
- Excessive washing: Excessive washing can result in dryness as well. Too much of shampoo can strip the natural oils from your scalp. The number of times that you should wash your hair depends on your hair and skin type. It is recommended to consult a dermatologist in this regard instead of taking matters into your own hands and over-washing.
- Eczema: Eczema is a skin condition that can make your scalp dry and itchy. It can also lead to redness and soreness. Eczema can be a hereditary skin condition. It can also be caused due to a change in weather, harsh hair care products, and stress.
- Scalp Psoriasis: Scalp Psoriasis is an immune system disorder in which your skin cells multiply at a quicker pace than normal. This can lead to cell buildup on the scalp and cause flakes and dryness.
What is the best oil for dry scalp?
Here are some oils you can use to nourish and soothe a dry scalp:
- Argan oil: Moroccan argan oil is rightly known as the liquid gold. This nourishing oil is ideal for treating dryness. Moroccan argan oil protects your hair from UV rays to reduce damage and soothes the scalp by hydrating it. Argan oil can be used once or twice a week, depending on the level of dryness you suffer from. Just take a few drops in your palms and massage the oil into your roots. Even little quantities of argan oil can go a long way in providing relief from itching and dryness.
Lavender essential oil: This essential oil is obtained from lavender flowers. Lavender essential oil has many benefits. It is commonly used in therapies as a stress-reliever. It can also help with sleep disorders. However, a little unknown fact about lavender essential oil is its use in treating dandruff and dryness. Lavender oil has antiseptic properties that can heal your dry scalp, stimulate hair growth, and prevent hair loss. You can mix lavender essential oil with a carrier oil and massage your scalp with the blend. You can also leave it overnight in case of extreme dryness and wash it off the next morning. Lavender has a soothing smell that can improve your mood too, so it makes for a great overnight treatment.
- Castor oil: Castor oil is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, which is why it is commonly used to treat dandruff. Castor oil is also a powerful antioxidant that improves overall scalp health. Cold-pressed castor oil can be used for weekly oil massages and be left on the scalp overnight too.
Almond oil: Almond, as you know, is a great source of Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps with hair growth. It also moisturizes your skin and scalp. Almond oil also contains proteins and fatty acids that are essential to maintain hair health. In addition to this, the proteins and magnesium present in the oil ensure that your hair and scalp are nourished and receive the nutrients necessary for their well-being. Almond oil can also be used regularly in your hair care regime.
Keep in mind that oils can help you moisturize your scalp, but oil massaging is not a one-time treatment. It shows effects over a period. So, regularly add oils to your hair care routine to really see a difference. And if your problem does not get better with time, consult a dermatologist as you might have a skin condition that could require a doctor’s care.
What products can you use to treat a dry scalp?
Here are some effective products that you can use to treat a dry scalp:
Castor Oil: Wow Skin Science Castor Oil is a 100% pure cold pressed formula that can not only be used on dry scalp and hair, but also skin, eyelashes, lips, eyebrows, and nails. This multipurpose oil can moisturize your skin and hair with continued use.
Moroccan Argan Hair Oil: Wow Skin Science Moroccan Argan Oil is another cold-pressed oil blend that can be used on thin, dry, and brittle hair. This deeply hydrating formula can moisturize your scalp, thereby reducing dryness and itching.
Lavender Essential Oil: Wow Skin Science Lavender Essential Oil can be used to balance the skin's texture, soften hair, and improve hair growth. You can use this oil with a carrier oil like castor or almond oil or any other oil of your choice, and use it to massage your scalp.
10-In-1 Hair Oil: The Wow Skin Science 10-In-1 Hair Oil contains multiple hair care nutrients like extra virgin olive oil, tea tree essential oil, Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil, bhringraj extract, grapeseed oil, vitamin e, and rosemary essential oil. This oil blend is full of nourishing ingredients that can moisturize your scalp and hair and improve its overall health.
Wow Skin Science has an extensive range of hair care products, including shampoos, conditioners, serums, and oils. Browse through and pick products as per your skin and hair type to enjoy beautiful and healthy hair and scalp.
How to Detox Your Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo Reviews from Customers
How to Clarify Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar