If you’re on a hair growth journey, it can be frustrating to try every trick in the book without reaching your hair goals. Hiding behind caps and hats because of thinning hair or bald spots isn’t doing your hair any justice.
One thing you might not have tried is onion hair oil -- a tried and true ayurvedic staple to rejuvenate hair strands. This could be the miracle solution that you’ve been searching for! It gets bonus points for being a naturally-derived product. We are here to tell you everything you need to know about using onion oil for hair growth and the best products to look for so that you can transform your hair in no time.
How Does Onion Hair Oil Promote Hair Growth?
Onion hair oil is able to indirectly promote hair growth just due to the very nature of the substance. Outside invaders like free radicals, heat damage, and chemical damage from bleaching break down the integrity of hair. Onion oil is jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, and natural compounds with cleansing and soothing properties to rebuild the strength of hair strands. When hair is stronger, it experiences less breakage, and less hair loss.
One way that onion hair oil promotes hair growth is by targeting the scalp. A healthy scalp is key to healthy hair growth. A scalp that has build-up, irritation, and flakes is not able to produce healthy hair that grows at a normal rate. Onion oil has soothing properties that can calm a dry, irritated, and itchy scalp. So before you reach for extensions as a short-term fix for unhealthy hair, try out onion hair oil -- you’ll be amazed by the results.
How to Use Onion Oil for Hair Growth
The best way to use onion oil for hair growth is to use it as a pre-shampoo hair treatment. One important thing to know about using onion oil for hair growth is that consistency is key! So that’s why we recommend that you follow this process at least once a week so that you can begin to see results and get back to having strong and healthy hair.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to best use onion oil for hair growth:
- Add about two tablespoons of onion hair oil in your hands.
- Either using your fingers or a silicone scalp brush from WOW Skin Science, massage the oil into your scalp in circular motions. For best results, spend about 15-20 minutes doing this so the oil can be fully absorbed, while boosting blood circulation to your scalp.
- For the best results, leave the onion oil on your hair for as long as possible. The minimum time of application is 15 minutes. The average time of application is a few hours. However, the best way to get the most out of this hair oil is applying it at night, and leaving it on overnight. Of course, this may take a little bit more work and preparation on your end in order to prep your hair to be slept on. You can do this by clipping it up, covering it with a shower cap, and protecting your bed linens, but this increased application time also means increased absorption and benefits -- so it’s definitely well worth it!
- Finally, shampoo to wash the oil out by using our rejuvenating Red Onion Shampoo And Conditioner. Make sure to rinse thoroughly so that no product remains in your hair.
Which is the Best Onion Oil for Hair Growth?
In theory, you could just juice and onion and apply that to your hair. However, the smell and mess is not worth it. Instead, we recommend going with an onion oil that has been specially formulated for hair, like WOW Skin Science’s Onion Black Seed Hair Oil. This product combines the restorative powers of onion hair oil with nourishing botanicals like sweet almond oil, extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, moroccan argan oil, coconut oil, and vitamin E. As you can probably imagine, all of these amazing hair ingredients help strengthen your strands and bring your hair back to life.
When it comes to buying onion oil for hair fall and hair products in general, you should definitely look for all-natural ingredients. Harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients can wreak havoc on even the healthiest hair -- so imagine what it can do when you’re trying to get your hair to a healthy place and promote hair growth. That’s why you should always avoid products that contain ingredients like sulfates, silicones, parabens, synthetic fragrances, mineral oil, and phthalates.
Other Benefits of Onion Hair Oil
Believe it or not, but promoting hair growth and stemming hair loss aren’t the only hair benefits of onion oil! Yes, this simple little oil can actually do a whole lot more than that.
So even if you don’t necessarily experience hair loss, you can still benefit from using onion oil on your hair if you experience any of the following issues:
- Itchy and irritated scalp. Onion oil can act as a scalp treatment to soothe dryness, itchiness, and even address flakes.
- Dull and dry hair. Onion oil is a natural conditioner that transforms dull and dry hair into sleek and shiny hair overnight.
- Premature graying. Onion oil balances out the pH level of your hair that when unbalanced, can contribute to premature graying.
If you’re looking for the best onion oil to prevent hair fall, look no further than WOW Skin Science. Be sure to check out our other amazing natural hair products that nourish and promote healthy hair!
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It