Dying your hair with unnatural hair color is the best way to amp up your style quotient nowadays. Figuring out a hair color that goes well with your personality and skin tone can be quite a humongous task. Who doesn’t want to show off their personality and look unique with a hair color that makes them stand out, right? If getting an unnatural hair color to highlight your personality is something that's crossed your mind recently, then jump right into this article.
Table of Contents:
- Determining Your Skin Tone
- Recommended Hair Color for Your Skin Tone
- Warm Skin Tone
- Cool Skin Tone
- Fair Skin Tone
- Medium Skin Tone
- Olive Skin Tone
- Wheatish Skin Tone
- Best Hair Care Products for Your Colored Hair #
Determining Your Skin Tone
Scrolling through my Instagram feed checking the different hairstyles and bold hair colors that celebs flaunt so easily and effortlessly is my favorite thing to do. Whether it’s the unique shade of blue that Hillary Duff chose or the daring orange Kristen Stewart went for, I’m in love with all their styles and have thought of trying them out as well. But a hairstylist friend of mine explained that it’s really important to choose the hair color that goes well with your skin tone.
According to Roxie Darling, former coloring guru at New York City's Hairstory, The choice of hair color depends on factors such as placement, saturation, and what undertones in your skin you wish to highlight. You have to collaborate well with your colorist and choose a color that brings out the best in your face.
Here’s how you can determine your skin tone with minimal effort.
- Check your wrist under sunlight to determine whether you are warm-toned or cool-toned. If your veins appear green in color, then you are warm-toned.
- If your veins appear bluish in color, then you are cool-toned.
- If you’re unable to determine your vein color from these two, then your skin tone might be olive.
- Your eye color can also help in determining your skin tone. As per celebrity hairstylist, George Papanikolas, your skin has a warm undertone if your eyes have a lot of gold specks. While those who have a lot of blues and greens in their eyes have a cool undertone.
Recommended Hair Color for Your Skin Tone
Once you’ve understood your skin tone, choosing the hair color that suits you becomes a lot easier.
Warm skin tone
If your skin is light warm-toned, colors such as rose gold, strawberry, and caramel blonde shades will compliment you extremely well. Go ahead with dark brown chocolate shades if you have dark skin.
Cool skin tone
If you have light, cool-toned skin, then steer away from hair colors that have red tints in them. Opt for shades such as blue, taupe, or brown. For people with dark cool-toned skin, blue-black hair color and brown with shades of purple works really well. While shades of orange and red might not be such a good idea for such skin tones.
Fair skin tone
Darker colors with bright undertones are not suited for fair skin people. Shades of red, blonde, brown, and dark chocolate are colors that can help in highlighting your facial features.
Medium skin tone
For people with medium skin, it’s best to keep lighter colors at bay. The warm colors will definitely leave an impact and work for you. Try going for colors such as maroon, purple, blue, subtle shades of red, etc.
Olive skin tone
Olive skin tone people have a bit of green tint to their skin tone, thus neutral colors and brown look quite appealing on them. Brown with undertones of blue and yellow looks wonderful on olive skin while red and copper shades are a complete no-no.
Wheatish skin tone
Both dark and light brown colors are suitable for wheatish skin people. Blue-black color will also work for you if you have such skin tone. Orange is one shade that would definitely not work for you.
Best Hair Care Products for Your Colored Hair
Though getting your hair color done is one extremely uphill battle, the real struggle is about maintaining it for long and keeping it fresh. Though your hairstylist might suggest several tips and tricks along with regular touch up of your hair color, adding premium quality hair care products to your regimen is something that can help you take care of your unnaturally colored hair with minimal effort.
Check these effective products that can help you protect your color-treated hair:
- Shampoo and Conditioner: Fading of hair color due to constant wear and tear and harsh environmental pollutants is quite common. In such situations, you need a natural formulation that helps restore the health of your tresses and provide your follicles with enhanced strength.
A combination pack of shampoo and conditioner that are infused with plant-powered ingredients and essential nutrients can be a quite effective at-home treatment for your locks. Check out the combo packs from WOW Skin Science that are not only free of sulfates, parabens and other harsh chemicals that may affect your hair color, but are also enriched with the best of plant-based ingredients.
- Hair masks: I, for one, am a big fan of hair masks and have personally seen the difference that regular application of a nourishing hair mask can make to your hair. Apart from providing essential moisture, strength, and nutrition to your hair, it works extremely well against the damage caused by color treatments and bleaching.
The vegan and gluten-free hair masks from WOW Skin Science are some of the best ones available out there, from which you can make an easy choice depending upon your preferences. Argan Oil, Coconut milk, and Apple cider vinegar are some of the potent ingredients that have been used in these hair strengthening formulas.
- Hair Oil: A hair oil packed with essential nutrients works like a therapy for your brittle and damaged hair and delivers nourishment in a natural way. Adding a hair oil made with natural ingredients to your regimen can help you combat the damage caused to your hair along with other concerns such as dandruff, split ends, and frizziness.
The smooth and powerful plant-based hair oils from WOW Skin Science are my personal favorites. I love their subtle scent and the way they make it super easy for me to detangle my messy knots. Not only this, but they also leave your hair strands feeling ultra-smooth, soft, and strong after each application. Make your pick from the different options available and let the hair oil take care of your colored tresses.
- Leave-in conditioner: Leave-in hair treatments are the perfect way to keep your mane revitalized, hydrated, and glossy all the time. Applying an effective leave-in conditioner on your color-treated hair can boost the health of your hair and keep it intensely nourished as well. It’s also quite helpful in keeping your hair frizz-free.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1 . What hair color makes skin look less pink?
Any light cool blonde shade can easily neutralize the pink and is suitable to make your skin appear less pink.
2. What hair color makes you look younger?
Lighter hair colors tend to make you look younger. Try to stay away from ashy tones and opt for some warmth with shades like honey.
3. Does pale skin look better with dark or light hair?
Light cool blond shades and colors such as white, silver, and ashy blonde compliment pale skin extremely well.
Getting an unnatural hair color is a fun experiment that can make you look gorgeous if done correctly. A hair color speaks a lot about your personality and creates an image for the onlookers. None of us would want to go for something that is unflattering and embarrassing. Take help from this article, understand your skin tone, and finalize the unnatural shade you want for your tresses.
Go bold and funky by getting the hair color you’ve always wanted and then let the best of these hair care products take care of your colored hair!
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It