Dry, itchy, and inflamed scalp is a common condition that many of us suffer from in our day-to-day lives. The frustrating skin condition is often left unattended and ignored as we do not prioritize it enough on our list of beauty woes. But, if we do not pay attention to it, this itchiness and inflammation can turn into quite a catastrophic situation. If you’re looking out for a hair care product that can help you ease this itchiness and provide permanent relief to your scalp, then keep scrolling down this article.
Table of Contents
1. Understanding the Causes of Inflamed and Itchy Scalp
2. Recommended Shampoos and Conditioners for Irritated Scalp
2.1 Apple cider vinegar shampoo and coconut conditioner
2.2 Red Onion sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner
2.3 Black seed hair oil
3. Home Remedies to Calm and Soothe an Itchy Scalp
1.Understanding the Causes of Inflamed and Itchy Scalp
There are several factors that can lead to an irritated and itchy scalp. Here’s a list of major factors that cause an itchy scalp:
- Weather: Changing weather tends to have a significant effect on your scalp and its health. According to Shari Hicks Graham, MD, board-certified dermatologist, air in winters tends to be less humid and drier as compared to summers. This leads to your skin getting dry, including your scalp. This dryness of the scalp can easily turn into flaky scalp when we brush our hair or scratch our head or rub it thoroughly.
- Overwashing your hair: Constant washing of your hair with chemical-infused shampoos can easily rid it of its natural moisture and nutrients, thus causing a dry scalp. As per Marie Drago, French doctor in pharmacy and skin & hair specialist, regular usage of shampoo can strip away the natural oils from our scalp.
- Pollutants: Harmful pollutants such as dust, dirt, grime, etc., can harm our scalp quite easily and cause several issues such as flakiness, dryness, and itching. These external agents will also cause an increase in the build-up of grease and residue on your scalp.
- Styling: Regular use of heating products such as iron rods, straighteners, dryers, etc on your tresses for styling can damage your hair follicles and scalp to a great extent.
- Stress: As per an expert trichologist, Anabel Kingsley, stress can trigger or worsen the itchiness and flakiness of your scalp by altering your hormone levels and causing an imbalance.
2.Recommended Shampoos and Conditioners for Irritated Scalp
According to Jeanine Downie, a board-certified dermatologist, scrubs and shampoos for scalp should be carefully chosen as they can strip your scalp of all its natural oils and aggravate the dryness of your scalp as well. Here are a few hair care products that can be added to your regimen for enhanced health of your scalp and hair:
Infused with antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, apple cider vinegar is an effective ingredient that works well to minimize the dryness of your skin and prevent scalp irritation. WOW Skin Science has formulated an excellent combination pack of a multipurpose ACV enriched shampoo and coconut conditioner for your hair. The shampoo ensures healthy hair growth and fights extremely well against an itchy and dry scalp, while the coconut conditioner is a plant-powered formula that keeps your hair thoroughly hydrated and nourished.
The soothing red onion shampoo from WOW Skin Science is perfectly suited for relieving an itchy, inflamed, and dry scalp. This rejuvenating shampoo provides intense nourishment and strength to your hair follicles and clarifies all the residue and greasy build-up from your scalp. Infused with the best ingredients and rich in antioxidants and essential vitamins, the shampoo works well to attain healthy and frizz-free hair.
The conditioner that comes with the combo pack is a lightweight hair care product that keeps your hair nourished and moisturized, without weighing it down. The soothing formulation has a subtle pleasant scent that stays on without being too overwhelming.
A hair oil, if chosen correctly, can not just provide nourishment to your hair, but also restore its natural shine by soothing all your hair care concerns. WOW Skin Science has formulated a multipurpose hair oil that has several essentials as its main ingredients, including onion black seed oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, almond oil, and olive oil. The versatile oil helps repair the damage caused to your mane and minimizes inflammation, redness, and irritation of your sensitive scalp. The hair oil works well for all hair types, and its regular application will help you achieve those beautiful locks you've always wanted.
3.Home Remedies to Calm and Soothe an Itchy Scalp
Here are a few easy-to-follow home remedies and tips for effective relief against an itchy scalp:
- Rinse with cold water: Always use cold water to rinse your hair after using a shampoo or a conditioner. Even though this might seem a bit harsh in winters, rinsing your scalp with hot water can worsen inflammation and irritations. Alternatively, you can use lukewarm water.
- Avoid wearing hats: Wearing hats while out in the sun might be a good idea, but do not overdo it as it can lead to a scarcity of oxygen supply to your scalp, causing further issues.
- Comb your hair well: Never skip combing or brushing your hair, as it can help you with your scalp concerns by shedding dead skin cells.
- Exfoliate with a scrub: Add a gentle scrub to your hair care routine, preferably one enriched with fruit enzymes and salicylic acid to gently exfoliate your scalp.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)1. What kills fungus on the scalp?
There are several over-the-counter antifungal medications that can be very effective in eliminating scalp fungus. Apple cider vinegar is also an effective natural antifungal.2. What ingredient in the shampoo makes your head itch?
Shampoos containing SLS and SLES may lead to drying up of your scalp and extreme itchiness.3. What is a natural remedy for dry scalp?
Coconut oil, tea tree oil, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, etc. are a few natural remedies that can help you in soothing your dry scalp.
Irritated and itchy scalp is a persistent skin condition that can get quite frustrating at times. If not taken care of and paid some attention to, though, it can make your hair rough, devoid of moisture and nourishment. Try to understand the underlying cause of this scalp issue and then fight against it with ease by adding these effective hair care products to your regimen!
No recommended products
Quick and Easy Way To Measure Your Hair Density
7 Benefits That Come From Using a Scalp Brush on Your Hair
What Is Type 4B Hair and How To Care For It